• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

white fuzz on driftwood

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I have a couple tanks with some white fuzz that appears to be growing from the knots of the driftwood. It looks to be a fungus, but looks something like algae except where it's most dense. There it is definitely a white like color. It only appears on the knots and the exposed ends.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be the type of tree the driftwood came from? I did a good job of sterilizing it before placing in the tank. I boiled each piece for 2 to 3 hours.

So far it hasn't bothered the fish. They're all very active and healthy. (So far!) I was told it wasn't anything to worry about. But I am worried that it will eventually effect the health of the fish. One piece is in my A.viejita tank and the other is in my Inca tank, I'd hate to see them get sick.

Michael

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
That happens on driftwood that has exposed 'soft wood'. That wood is basically rotting. Harder wood seems impervious to it. You can try boiling th ewood again and maybe it will kill it. I have not had much success with that. Neither have I had a problem with fish in the tanks that have that fungus on the wood. It is ugly though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….