• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

which alga eating fish (or shrimp)

Jacco

Hi,
I'd like to add some alga eating fish to my fishbowl (700L). In the little forrest streams most apisto's live alga are hard to find... as are these specific fish. Which one would be closest though to the apisto/dwarfcichlid biotope? Any suggestions?
thx,
Jacco.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Otocinclus are fine with Apistogramma, they need a planted tank, supplementary feeding with vegetables and very good water quality, you also need to keep them as a group.

If your pH and hardness aren't really low, Red Ramshorns will do a better cleaning job.

Red Cherry Shrimp are a non-starter, as the fish eat them, but Amano's might be a possibility.

cheers Darrel

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I use Otocinclus sp. as they are from South America and do a great job at removing algae; although, I couldn't pinpoint a specific region they are from as there are many species and I think that they are really difficult to tell apart. They stay fairly small (1 to 2.5 inches), seem to be peaceful, etc. Normally, I stock them about one for every 10 gallons, but you could certainly do more than that.

Gwendal

Otocinclus in little tanks make a good job, in bigger tanks you can use Ancistrus.

1 saludo

wethumbs

5 Year Member
For a fish bowl that size, pleco like the common Ancistrus will keep the algae at bay. You can even try keeping a pair and provide a cave for the male to guard his spawn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….