• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to get more info for

D

Danny

Hi,

I would like to know where I can get more info with regards to Reverse Osmosis (RO) water and unit? Is there any website that sells it. Does this helps in breeding Apistos?

Thanks,
Danny

Randall

5 Year Member
R/O Units

Dear Danny,

Personally, my two favorite R/O unit brands are Spectrapure and Kent. Surely, both companies must have websites (Perhaps a search is in order?). You can also check with your local fish retailer for catalog information and product descriptions.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Spectrapure has been around for quite a while. They are very well established and cater to the entire water purification industry. They are very friendly adn love to answer questions. They are here local to me, and I have often 'popped' in with my unit, and they have always been happy to help with maintenance or an upgrade. I am a science teacher, and they made a great deal for my school disrict on my request to get filters into all the high schools affordably... they met our price! I hav ebeen using Spectrapure since 1988... I have upgraded on systems 4 times. I am very happy with Spectrapure.

jeb

5 Year Member
???

I've noticed that they come with 2,3,&4 filters.What am I looking for when it comes to aquarium R/O filtration?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)

I use reverse osmosis and deionization (R/O DI). The stages that most come with are

1. micron filter - mechanical filtration to get rid of anything large enough to hurt the R/O membrane

2. carbon block - to remove chlorine and other chemical impurities that might make it through the membrane

3. r/o membrane - this is what you get the unit for

4. DI resin cartridge - gets rid of any ions that might be in the r/o water

If the system does what it is supposed to, the micron filter and carbon filter pre-clean the water. This will extend the life of the membrane. THe r/o removes almost all the impurities, but it is a semi-permeable membrane; meaning it allows things through by size. There are some things smaller than water, and the vast majority of those are ions. The DI removes the ions. The result should be very pure (98%+) pH 7 water.

I would at least get an r/o with micron and carbon prefilters. DI may not really be needed for aquarium fish. Since I also use mine for lab applications, I use the DI.

jeb

5 Year Member
Thanks Judy,I started looking around the web and found a post that said the DI Removes Phospates!I beleave that would be very important.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….