• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's this fish?

Hako

5 Year Member
Picture is from Peru if that helps.

Thank you.
H
Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 12.15.35 AM.png

gerald

5 Year Member
Crenicara punctulatum --- range according to FishBase is: "South America: Amazon River basin, in Ecuador, Peru, Colombia and Brazil, in tributaries of the rivers Ucayali, Marañón, Solimões and Amazon from about the Pachitea River on the Ucayali River to about Gurupá; upper Mamoré River in Bolivia, and Madre de Dios River drainage in Peru; Essequibo River drainage in Guyana; Amapá Grande River in Amapá, Brazil." There's also Crenicara latruncularium -- in the Guaporé and Mamoré river basins in Brazil and Bolivia. Not listed as occurring in Peru.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
I know for certain that latruncularium is found in Peru, as Brian Perkins has collected them in the southern part of the country, in the Madre de Dios drainage, which comes off the Mamore, I believe. However, I'm not sure which species exactly the above photo would be. If it was connected to WildPeru, that is Brian's tour company, and the above fish likely latruncularium. They have tried to export some of these, but have had trouble getting the process right for consistently getting fish back to the states alive.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is a Crenicara species. C. puntulatum (sensu lato) is quite variable in its morphology and color pattern. I have no doubt that it will eventually be split into several different species. The fish pictured is definitely not a 'typical' C. puntulatum. Based on the photo, I can't see any way to determine its size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….