• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What species would work best?

UDGags

I've really got the apistogramma bug and want to buy some for my new high tech planted 125g. I've been looking around the internet and decided to ask a few questions.

First off, these are my water parameters...
pH-6.55 with CO2 and 7.4-7.5 when CO2 is off
Temperature-Flexible between 72-78F
TDS-300ppm
Alkalinity-70ppm/4 degrees
Hardness-155ppm/8.7 degrees

I have oto's(20) and amanos(40) in the tank.

• What Apisto's will work with that pH (and other water parameters)? I keep seeing different numbers on various websites and want to make sure my pH isn't too high.
  • Is there a website that lists all the Apisto species similar to planetcatfish? (Figure I can scour through for species that fit my parameters without asking everyone)

The local club here is having their auction this weekend so hoping some Apisto's show up there.

Here is a picture of my tank (set it up on 2/1/13 so only been up for 1.5 months, still needs to grow in)
IMG_8264_zps748550d4.jpg

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Wonderful looking tank.

I would be concerned with the wide fluctuation of pH; 6.5 to 7.5 is quite the (daily I'm assuming) swing in pH. Is there a way that you can turn the flow of your CO2 down so that it is a gradual infusion rather than turning it on and off?

I'm fairly certain that the apistos would eat shrimp; I had some cull cherry reds in with mine and they didn't last long.

As far as a list, Martin and Tom's site has the best and most comprehensive; although many of the species listed there are not commercially available.

Good luck!

UDGags

I'm running 125 micromols of light at the substrate so I need the high ppm of CO2 to prevent algae. CO2 comes on 30 minutes before lights and shuts off 30 minutes after (8hr photoperiod). I have the ability to control CO2 based on pH but I'd rather not run it 24/7.

There is a fairly significant size difference between Cherry's and Amano's. I chose the larger breed so they would not get eaten. I plan on getting small Apistogramma's as well.

Thanks for the link to that site. I'll check it out.

So back to my original question....any species fit these water parameters?And if so how many could I reasonably fit in a 125g when they are full grown?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most clearwater and whitewater apisto species should live in this environment, but I'd avoid blackwater species. A good choice would be A. borellii - small, adaptable, peaceful.

UDGags

Thanks Mike. Is 1-2 males and 4ish females a good stocking number?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For apistos, yes - if there are visible territorial boundaries for each fish. If properly decorated, it could handle another male and a couple of extra females.

UDGags

I just wanted to follow up with everyone. I went with 2 males and 4 females of Apistogramma Borelli 'Blue' from Wet Spot. Here are a few pictures. Thanks again!!!!

These pictures are from the first day (3/27/13)
IMG_8356_zpsf518d4ba.jpg

IMG_8387_zps28fb856c.jpg

Pictures from today (4/2/13)

IMG_8442_zpsa78689fe.jpg

IMG_8436_zps1e6544f4.jpg

UDGags

What do you mean? Like I shouldn't have gotten 2 males? I figured 125g was plenty of space for them especially with all the hiding places in the plants.

cichlidmac

What do you mean? Like I shouldn't have gotten 2 males? I figured 125g was plenty of space for them especially with all the hiding places in the plants.

You could probably have more than 2, I think he meant something else.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, I didn't go back to the original posts. I forgot that you wanted them for display only. I only meant that the 2 fish look like males. If that's what you want, then that is great. If you wanted to breed the fish, then not so great.

cichlidmac

Sorry, I didn't go back to the original posts. I forgot that you wanted them for display only. I only meant that the 2 fish look like males. If that's what you want, then that is great. If you wanted to breed the fish, then not so great.

He also has 4 females :p

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I would be concerned with the wide fluctuation of pH; 6.5 to 7.5 is quite the (daily I'm assuming) swing in pH. Is there a way that you can turn the flow of your CO2 down so that it is a gradual infusion rather than turning it on and off?
You can ignore the rapid swing swing in pH, it is just because the added CO2 changes the CO2~HCo3- equilibrium. This means that the pH changes without any change in alkalinity, and this doesn't effect the fish. When you stop adding CO2 the equilibrium returns to its atmospheric level and the pH rises. In vegetated soft water the pH will naturally vary during the photocycle as the ratio of O2 to CO2 change.

When you add CO2 it drives the equilibrium towards CO2, and a very small proportion of this CO2 becomes carbonic acid (but a slightly larger amount than when you aren't adding CO2), and lowers the pH.

This is why people who add CO2 can use a drop checker with 4dKH liquid and bromothymol blue pH indicator to estimate the added CO2 value. <http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/Co2/co2_faq.htm>

cheers Darrel

UDGags

Yep, the fish seem fine and are coloring up beautifully.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

UDGags

I just got home (from our own baby class) and my one female Apistogramma Borelli 'Blue' has babies swimming around her! Anything that gets close she goes after. I'm afraid the babies won't last with the cardinals but they are hiding in the plants since I have so many. This is my first spawn of any fish....so no idea what to do. I'm guessing they will die.

Please ignore the algae...tank was neglected for ~2 weeks when traveling and sick...its catching up to it finally. I have increased my water changes and will start to dose Excel if it doesn't correct itself.

IMG_8716_zps197dfe9c.jpg

IMG_8756_zps9913e71f.jpg

IMG_8755_zps463a8d5c.jpg

IMG_8754_zps084edd7f.jpg

IMG_8753_zpsf34e09ec.jpg

IMG_8751_zps707eecc3.jpg

IMG_8750_zpse93d5fd0.jpg

IMG_8749_zpsdaf19347.jpg

IMG_8748_zps85de3bf8.jpg

IMG_8747_zps8738550b.jpg

IMG_8746_zps6834636c.jpg

IMG_8745_zps44e0211c.jpg

madmike

That is one marvelous looking tank!! I absolutely love the depth and the scenery you've created, simply amazing to say the least.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice tank.
I'm afraid the babies won't last with the cardinals but they are hiding in the plants since I have so many.
I think the Cardinals probably will pick them off, although you may get one or two make it.
Please ignore the algae...tank was neglected for ~2 weeks when traveling and sick...its catching up to it finally. I have increased my water changes and will start to dose Excel if it doesn't correct itself.
That isn't algae, that is the wholly beneficial biofilm or periphyton, an invaluable aid to fry survival.

Have a look here:
<http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-can-i-feed-ram-fry.14477/>

cheers Darrel

regani

5 Year Member
beautiful looking tank. with that much plant cover you will probably get a small number of fry surviving. to help them grow you will have to feed live foods (freshly hatched brine shrimp or microworms). later they will usually take crushed flake.
if you have a spare tank and want larger numbers of fry surviving, you could try to siphon the fry out and raise them separately using small live foods such as freshly hatched brine shrimp or microworms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….