• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What cichlids ?

D

Dan_McTudor

Hi all.... I have a 60 liters/16 gallons tank with only three young Parotocinclus jumbo. What small cichlids would you reccomand me ?! I live in Helsinki, Finland, and the water parameters in my tank are: pH 7,5, kH 2, gH 3, NO3 10 mg/l, NO2 <0,1 mg/l, CO2 1,8 ppm. Thank you in advance. And thanks for those who keep alive such an interesting Forum ! :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since no one else has commented, I will give you my opinion. Your aquarium is suitable for a pair or trio of most dwarf cichlids + a few small surface dwelling fish (pencilfish, hatchets, killies). It might be too small for some of the more aggressive species, however. Your pH is a bit high for many species, but since you have soft water, you should be able to acidify it quite easily using peat in a filter or even some commercial blackwater formulas that are available. I suspect that your tank would naturally drop to the slightly acid range anyway. I suggest that you look at the species you find interesting & determine their water chemistry requirements before you purchase them. Ideal first time candidates are many, but I suggest A. cacatuoides, A. borellii, & A. sp. Rotpunkt.

D

Dan_McTudor

TY very much Mike.... Now I face another problem - it's not easy to get Apistogramma in Finland, except for A. ramirezi (imported from Sweden). But I'll see what I can do. Thanks again.
P.S. If a trio, that would be 2 F and 1 M I presume ?

U

uromastyx

Hi all
I am new here.
I'd like to buy some kind of Apisto, but I already have 5 Corydoras sterbai and a few Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. My question is what sort of Apisto should I choose next to these fish. I am a beginner so I do not mind if the pair of Apisto wear a middle soft water well, and I also would like they not to annoy the others. I plan for them a 100 l (~27 g) tank.

Thank You in advance

Benedek

Griz

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum Benedek !

First, what is you water like? pH, GH, KH?

Do you plan to breed Apistos or just keep then in a community? You can certainly keep Apistogramma but any fry/eggs will be eaten. Your tank is a good size and the fish you have should be fine with them. The corys may get chased around a bit but no harm should come to therm.

Mike suggested these as good beginner species: A. cacatuoides, A. borelli & A. sp. Rotpunkt.

U

uromastyx

Griz said:
First, what is you water like? pH, GH, KH?

Do you plan to breed Apistos or just keep then in a community? You can certainly keep Apistogramma but any fry/eggs will be eaten. Your tank is a good size and the fish you have should be fine with them. The corys may get chased around a bit but no harm should come to therm.

Water's parameters are open questions, because there will be a new aquarium. (Now I keep the young Corys and Tetras in a smaller tank with hard enough water.)
But are there any difference in the requirements of hardness among the different Apisto species?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most definitely! Apistos come from many different rivers with different water values. Fish from truly blackwater habitats - like A. elizabethae & A. sp. Miuá - do not survive long in water that is not very soft and pH <6. Others - like A. cacatuoides, A. borellii & A. trifasciata, which come from whitewater habitats, will easily live & breed in hard, slightly alkaline water (pH < 7.5). It is best to know the water values needed for the fish you want to keep.

U

uromastyx

Mike Wise said:
A. cacatuoides, A. borellii & A. trifasciata, which come from whitewater habitats, will easily live & breed in hard, slightly alkaline water (pH < 7.5). It is best to know the water values needed for the fish you want to keep.

I tend to choose borelli. What hardness level is needful for them?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They will live in most water conditions, but reproduce best at hardness values below 10ºdH. Let us know your tap water values & we can recommend some other fish, too.

D

Dan_McTudor

Mike Wise said:
Since no one else has commented, I will give you my opinion. Your aquarium is suitable for a pair or trio of most dwarf cichlids + a few small surface dwelling fish (pencilfish, hatchets, killies). It might be too small for some of the more aggressive species, however. Your pH is a bit high for many species, but since you have soft water, you should be able to acidify it quite easily using peat in a filter or even some commercial blackwater formulas that are available. I suspect that your tank would naturally drop to the slightly acid range anyway. I suggest that you look at the species you find interesting & determine their water chemistry requirements before you purchase them. Ideal first time candidates are many, but I suggest A. cacatuoides, A. borellii, & A. sp. Rotpunkt.
Finally, my tank has the 3 P. jumbo, 12 Lemon tetra and a pair of P. ramirezi... :) Fair enough for a small tank.

U

uromastyx

Mike Wise said:
They will live in most water conditions, but reproduce best at hardness values below 10ºdH. Let us know your tap water values & we can recommend some other fish, too.

We have a medium hard tap water in my district. It's about 15-16ºdH, but I mix it with deionised water. So I use now a 10-11ºdH water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….