• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Welcome Mike Wise

Randall

5 Year Member
To the forum:

We at apistogramma.com would like to extend a warm welcome to Mike Wise.

Mike has been studying South American dwarf cicihlids, with an emphasis on the genus Apistogramma, for over 25 years and is well-known in the hobby for the breadth of his vast knowledge. As the Senior Technical Editor of the Apistogramma Study Group (ASG), Mike serves on it's Steering Committee, where he writes for the ASG's publication, The Apisto-Gram, concerning a myriad of subjects, inclusive of the phylogeny of the genus Apistogramma. Mike also contributes to the journal of the American Cichlid Association, the Buntbarsche Bulletin.

Mike is a much sought after speaker and has presented programs, concerning Apistogramma, to many aquarium societies both here in the US and in Europe. He also translates German language books on the subject, thereby making information available to English-speaking hobbyists that would otherwise not be available.

Although Mike has spoken at the annual American Cicihlid Association convention before, this year (2004) he is a featured keynote speaker and will discuss the genus Apistogramma.

Welcome!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Neil

I have placed this post as a Sticky because we feel that an introduction for Mike is notable and should remain accessible for all to see for a while!
We are most happy to have Mike with us :D.

Neil

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Everyone going to the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association Workshop March 20-21st needs to make sure to say Hi to Mike. He will be giving a talk about Dwarf Cichlids there. I know I am going! I am coming down from Columbus, OH to visit my brother and making a side trip out of it! Can't wait to see everyone down there! Also looking forward to the other talks as well especially Randy Carey talking about Characins! Make sure to bring your fish!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You can find a copy of the original description of A. alacrina on Dr. Kullander's site. Go to: http://www.nrm.se/ve/pisces/acara/cichpubl.shtml and then under 2004 publication hit the PDF file for a copy.

BTW, Randall, are you sure you are talking about me? My kids obviously don't believe it! :)

I look forward to seeing everyone from the Atlanta area, where I will be giving a talk this weekend. If you are in the neighborhood, come by and say hi.

Mike Wise

Neil

I look forward to seeing everyone from the Atlanta area, where I will be giving a talk this weekend. If you are in the neighborhood, come by and say hi.

Let us also not forget about the ACA on Mike's home turf. There will be a bunch of us there, where his talk will be a must-see!

You can find a copy of the original description of A. alacrina on Dr. Kullander's site. Go to: http://www.nrm.se/ve/pisces/acara/cichpubl.shtml and then under 2004 publication hit the PDF file for a copy.

Well, if I would have been paying attention, I would have seen the PDF link when I looked at that a while ago. It is wonderful to have this description in English. Thanks again for the info, Mike. Now all I have to do is learn to read German better and get a copy of Koslowski work.

Neil

2la

5 Year Member
Welcome, Mr. Wise! I've read countless forum messages of yours in various other venues, and it's obvious that you're dripping with insane amounts of apisto knowledge experience (much like many of the regulars/moderators here). It's a privilege to have you on board!

Warmest regards,

2la

mervin

5 Year Member
welcome mike wise !!!

it is indeed a honour to have you here !!!

anyway, have you considered coming down to Asia for "talks" ???
Asia .....meaning Singapore ???
:lol:

mervin

5 Year Member
hahaha !!!
would love too....that is if i have the $$$$$

anyway, where about in the US are u located Mike ????

i do fly down to LA, SFO and NYC rather often due to the nature of my job.
perhaps we can meet up, would be honoured to meet the ledgendary Mike Wise !!!

mervin
:D

Randall

5 Year Member
Meeting Mike Wise

Dear Mervin,

If you come to this year's ACA convention in Denver, Colorado, you can see Mike's presentation about Apistogramma. The convention web site is http://aca2004.com.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

mervin

5 Year Member
Hi Randall,

hahaha !!!!
my wife will kill me if she know that i'm flying almost 20 hrs to a fish convention !!!!

mervin

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
RE: Mike W. and his A. hongloi and a new morph to me!

Hi, All- I too am delighted that Mike W. is back and posted his beautiful male A. hongsloi today. First a comment. In the photo much of what is vivid red-red on my male is quite orange to red-orange on his. I bought mine last week as he was the lone left-over over a batch that sold quickly at $30/pair at my LFS. They sold him to me for $8.00 just to empty the tank. In the store it was obvious that he was fully mature-dorsal and anal fins extending far beyond his tail and anals over an inch long.

When I got him home he moved into the deep laver of floating "water wisteria" and was quite pale for a few days. Today, after my every 3rd day 10-15% water change he emerged. His entire head is the strongest
red-red I have ever seen. There is no orange tinge anywhere on him.

Today his entire body was over-washed by this same red-red with areas of
clear gold and true yellow. I have never seen such intensity of red coloration on an apisto before-like a velvet red swordtail from the 50's. I am desperately looking for three or four females and intend to work on preserving and possibly increasing the red or moving it into dorsal and anal
fins-and tail! Any suggestions of a source. I'd like them to be out of a cross where the male had no orange tone.

Today I hit the same shop where they have sold out of the 27 P. pulchers
they bought from me. In that tank were two pair of very small and young
fishes labelled A. cacatuoides-triple lemon. I marked both pairs as sold
and will pick them up Sat'y. They are gorgeous-lemon yellow entirely-much more glamorous than golden rams I've seen. Loaded with personality-about 3/4" long the two males are already showing distinct
lyrate caudals and all fins are dayglow lemon. Can someone tell me about this clone. All I have at the moment are 1 wild caught pair, 2 m triple reds which are orange, a nice orange but not red, some babies purchased as
triple reds too young to tell though the females are showing orange on their rounded tails.

I've decided to put the lemons in a tank where the only otyher apistos are
triple reds growing like weeds and steindachneri. Ther are P. pulchers,
taeniatus and Nanacara anomalas as well plus complex set of dithers. If
choose to put one pair in my 150 that has many cacas are they likely to
choose each other down the road?? They are probably clutchmates---is
this good or bad with a manmade (?) morph.?

So far my aspisto collection has agassizis (3R), borellii (yellow), cacas,
one hongloi, macmasteri, juruensis, panduro, and steindachneri-large group of the latter from Dave Soares. I like the hongsloi's looks the most but the personality kids are the pair of panduros and these 4 new triple-lemons.

From retirement into a world of new fishes. I've cancelled my dish network, retired the TV and am getting a fourth tank-200 for the center of
the home theater. P. taeniatus are with eggs-pulchers with fry in my
29 community. It's getting fishier all the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….