• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown fish in a batch of pertensis

Melanochromis

Hi,

I have found another mysterious fish at a shop in Bangkok. There were 4-5 juveniles of these species that came in with a batch of another fish labeled as pertensis (or cf. pertensis, I don't really know).

After some search, they appear to me as somewhat similar to cruzi or moae. But I'm not so sure.

The fish, however, were no longer at the shop and the person who bought them put the pictures here (please scroll down to reply #6).
http://aqua.c1ub.net/forum/index.php?topic=133760.6

The owner of the fish reported that they showed little aggression in the tank and liked to swim together. They even swam with other Apisto like trifasciata.

It'd be really great if someone could help ID the fish :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A very interesting find! The regani-complex species can be difficult to identify. It would be helpful see a female or a male with submissive/fright markings. Based on what I see right now, my guess is that it is one of the forms of A. (cf.) geisleri. I could be wrong.

Melanochromis

A very interesting find! The regani-complex species can be difficult to identify. It would be helpful see a female or a male with submissive/fright markings. Based on what I see right now, my guess is that it is one of the forms of A. (cf.) geisleri. I could be wrong.

Thanks, Mike. When the fish were at the shop, they were kept in a very dark tank and showed a different pattern on the body. I'll ask the owner if he could take picture of the fish when they show that pattern again.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, definitely one of the many forms of A. cf. geisleri from the lower Amazon. A. cf. pertensis occurs in the same region, too, so the combination makes sense. I can't say which population it exactly is, but it closely resembles A. cf. geisleri from the region around Parintins, Brazil (A60 in DATZ book).

Melanochromis

Thanks a lot! I guess that solves the mystery. I look up pictures of A60 and agree they look very much alike.

I've translated your reply into Thai so that the fish owner can understand. He'll be happy to finally know the ID.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….