• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two filtration systems on one aquarium

Appistoenthusiast

Okay... I have a question. I bought one of the combo aquariums from walmart. It was a 10 gallon with a aquatech 5-15. All the filtration unit came with is a carbon filter. I tried to find a bio sponge sold by the company to fit it with no luck. I know I could make my own and that is still an option under consideration. However, I was talking to an appisto keeper and he was convincing more and more that I should buy a aqua clear 20 gallon filtration unit. He said I should leave the aquatech 5-15 on there and fit it with a sponge and take the carbon filter off. This way I have two sponges and filtration units "in case". I am going to put internal sponges over both intakes if I go this route. Any thoughts? Please I know some of you are a lot more knowledgeable than I am in this field....I am just a beginner but want to learn. I just don't want a strong current in the aquarium because from what I have read the appistos like slow moving water and I want my fish happy.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
He said I should leave the aquatech 5-15 on there and fit it with a sponge and take the carbon filter off. This way I have two sponges and filtration units "in case". I am going to put internal sponges over both intakes if I go this route. Any thoughts?
Sounds good advice to me as well.
I just don't want a strong current in the aquarium because from what I have read the appistos like slow moving water and I want my fish happy.
You won't have a lot of current if you have lots of structure. If you haven't seen them have a look through Bob Wiltshire's (ApistoBob) "dwarf cichlid" pages, they are full of good advice, and particularly the "care section" <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….