• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tucanoichthys Tucano

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I was in the fishroom this evening making sure I shut everything off 'in the
dark' and checking tanks with a little flashlight. When I got to my tank of
Tucanoichthys Tucano I saw very small flashes of light and movment. Looking
closer the tank is full of 1-1.5mm long juveniles. At the sight of the
flashlight beam they dart into clumps of java moss and hide. What makes them
stand out is they are unlike the parents but but deep neon blue.

I wish I know what I did.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I have 12 adults 6 male and 6 female in a 20 tall that I call my extreme leafliter/blackwater tank. They share this tank with Corydoras Tucano and the corys lay eggs all the time. I have groups of juveniles that have almost reached adult size. The tanks pH ranges between 4.0 and 5.1 never higher. Conductivity is always less then 50 and the temp is between 76-77. I avoid water changes in tank, at most once a month. The water is always cloudy dark brown with fine algea growing on the glass.

The tank has a driftwood monolith in the center of the tank almost dividing it in two. On this mass is a clump of java moss that almost fills a 5 gallon bucket. The tank is never directly lit.
8F2U3672.jpg

8F2U3681.jpg

8F2U3677.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
Excellent!! I was told that Tucano Tetra parents will defend their fry, is it true or just a rumour?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….