• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to decide on how to stock my tank

chellzy

Hello everyone!

Currently, I have a 10 gallon community tank with small tropicals-guppies, corydoras, a dwarf frog, and one lonely carnival goldfish (the original reason we got the tank). I don't have any cichlids currently, but I recently got a 55 gallon column aquarium that I'd like to stock with cichlids. I was originally planning on a planted tank, but I'm starting to think the tank is too deep to do it easily. My tank dimensions are 30"Lx18"Wx24"D. I was told that the tank is the wrong dimensions for an African cichlid tank, but it may work for dwarf/S.A. cichlids. Is this true? And would I need to avoid any live plants?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First welcome to the forum. You have a tank with unusual dimensions. It's what we would call a 'show tank'. Cichlids would be fine in it, but realize that what is important is the bottom surface area, not the total volume. Which cichlids you want to keep depends on your preference. For most apistos and other SA dwarf cichlids, most never use more than the lowest 8"/20cm of the tank. I usually recommend a territory of 1 sq ft for each fish. So in this case your tank can't hold as many apistos as would a normal 55. Of course it really depends on how the aquarium is decorated. Live plants are up to you. In such a deep tank you'll need some strong lighting, something apistos aren't especially fond of. Still, as long as there are darker hiding places and some floating plants, I see no problems. Have fun with your new tank.

chellzy

So, it sounds like I'm looking at 3-4 cichlids/apistos, is that right? Would I be able to put some higher swimming fish in there as well? I love the aquarium-it fits perfectly in our small house, but I'm starting to think the depth is more of a headache than a help. The fact that the apistos don't like strong lightning actually makes me happy-I can put some low-light plants in so it will still be somewhat planted. We were thinking of caves in corners, with plants around them.

Another question-I picked up some flora max substrate because my original plan was to make it a heavily planted tank, but the lighting is kind of veering me a different direction. It's a small gravel, should I exchange it for something else? I saw that a lot of people use sand with cichlids; I'm assuming most of the cichlid specific substrate I see is for African cichlids to raise pH.

Thank you for the help :).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do you want a community tank or a breeding tank? It's hard to have it both ways. If you're wanting to breed, then a trio would work, with some some surface dwelling fish as dithers. Do a search for suitable dither fish. Otherwise, I suggest 3 different males if you aren't really interested in breeding. For a community situation add several small schools (6+ specimens) of surface & mid-swimming species.

chellzy

We want a community tank-I'm too much of a noob to consider breeding at this stage. One of my 11 year olds is planning out our next aquarium (we haven't even filled this one yet) and he thinks he wants to breed. I don't think that will work the way he thinks it works.

I've only ever done peaceful tropical tanks before, moving to a semi-aggressive/aggressive tank is much more to think about. I'd hate to lose fish right after getting them because I made the wrong choice.

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
For a community tank, I'd suggest P. Kribensis, A. Cacatuoides, microgeophagus altispinosa, Microgeophagus Ramirezi or A. "Steel blue".

If you want to start breeding Dw. Cich. The same ones mentioned are listed easiest to hardest.

chellzy

I showed my husband and my fish-loving son the apistos at our LPS, and they like them also (son says 'they'll do' since he can't have his big cichlids yet). All of the ones you listed are ones I pointed out as wanting, glad to see I'm headed in the right direction! We have the tank up and running empty now, we'll start stocking in a couple of weeks or so. We decided on 3 dwarf cichlids, some rainbowfish, congo tetras, and a few corys. Thank you for all of the help! I'll share pictures soon :).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For a community tank, I'd suggest P. Kribensis, A. Cacatuoides, microgeophagus altispinosa, Microgeophagus Ramirezi or A. "Steel blue".

If you want to start breeding Dw. Cich. The same ones mentioned are listed easiest to hardest.

All of the species listed are usually peaceful enough for a community situation, but please don't mix Kribs and SA dwarfs. This leads to real trouble! They communicate differently. Also a breeding pair of Kribs can wreak havoc in a community situation.

chellzy

Oh, I know! I've done a ton of reading and wouldn't mix African and SA! We are actually leaning towards rams-I love the apistos, but the general consensus in the house is rams. No breeders either-I'm going with Mike's suggestion of all males.

chellzy

That is the question...My husband prefers M. Ramirezi, and I think the M. Altispinosa is gorgeous. I figured we would get one of each and possibly a A. cacatuoides to round out the group. All male.

Is there a reason these three wouldn't do well together? I assumed they would co-exist okay since they are all SA.

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
Technically, they would be fine. In reality (In my Exp.), thats like putting three angry bulls in a shed, somebody is going to die. A 30in tank is enough for either: one bonded pair (male & female) of one species or a school (3-5) of Male Altispinosa/Ramirezi. If you are leaning towards Microgeophagus I'd go with Altispinosa, as it is very "beginner-friendly".

chellzy

Thanks-I don't want death! the owner of the small mom and pop pet shop here said if I over-filtrated, I could easily overstock the the tank with dwarf cichlids and they wouldn't kill each other. We do have 2 filters on the tank, but I still worry about overstocking. Mike mentioned 3 different males, so now I'm confused. I really don't want to mess this up.

We are going to start stocking the tank this weekend. Would we be better off starting with the cichlids, or the more peaceful fish we're planning on?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your LPS is wrong! Overstocking is never a good idea, well maybe for mbunas. Overstocking means risks of pollution and more frequent water changing and other maintenance. One is supposed to enjoy keeping a community tank, not work overtime trying to keep it and its inhabitants healthy. Although water quality is important, with cichlids territory is even more. If you want Rams, I suggest that you choose only one of the species. The Bolivian Ram (M. altispinosus) is more robust and less demanding on water temperature than the Orinoco Ram (M. ramirezi). Neither species is especially aggressive, but the Bolivian Ram grows larger and will dominate its smaller brethren, especially if kept at normal (lower) aquarium temperatures. Additionally, commercially raised Orinoco Rams have a reputation for being delicate. I suggest that you read about the living requirements of the fish - especially the Orinoco Ram - before you buy anything. After saying all of this, my guess is that a 55 should be large enough for the 3 male cichlids you're interested in keeping. Just make sure each can hold a territory or has a place to hide.

As for stocking, I would first introduce a few hardier species. Your tank needs time to cycle. Take 4 - 6 weeks adding a few fish each week until the nitrifying bacteria have a chance to grow in the tank. The last fish to add should be the cichlids - all at the same time, so that none can establish the tank as their personal territory before the others get the chance.

chellzy

We have three little guppies in there right now, just because the tank looked so empty (and my husband is impatient and had to put something in). We are planning on starting with congo tetras, followed by rainbowfish, a few corys, and finally the rams. I need to add a few more hiding spots before we get there. I'm trying to give the plants a little more time to grow first.

Thank you so much for your help, Mike. I feel like I've read every website out there, but there's nothing better than direct advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patch24

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….