• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To many dither fish?

Blackwater

5 Year Member
My two new apistogramma agassizii's are a bit timid. i was wondering if all the tetras and corys in the tank may intimidate them some

20 neon tetras
8 black skirts
8 serpaes
12 emarald green corydoras
1 hatchet fish ( lost the other 5 in the move =( )

also, how long does it take these to fully mature? they are quite small now, male being maybe 1.75" and female 1.25"

any tips on how to get these guys to be less shy? anything is appreciated, thanks

-Thomas

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning Thomas,

How big is your tank and how long have you had the Apistos for ?
This would help in giving you some more info. Generally, it takes them approx 12 months to mature to full size. The dither fish as wonderful and I cannot see that from what you havestated that this should be a problem. you do have a few to many corys as they also compete for the food and territory in the lower level. Do you also have enough plants , caves and hiding spots for the apsitos ? It normallt takes a few months for territories to be established properly. Also are they a pair or 2F or 2 M ?
anyway give us some more news and then slowly we can maybe help you and the apistos. cheers jk :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Usually other fish that are acting normally in the aquarium lessen the shyness of apistos. It might be that your tank doesn't have enough hiding places to make the apisto feel comfortable. You do realize that raising apisto fry in this tank is highly unlikely, although it will be a wonderful community tank - if it is a 55 gal. or larger.

Blackwater

5 Year Member
oops

yeah, sorry - i posted this last night and iw as really tired -

the tank is a 60gallon, with various rock caves, driftwood caves, rootwood caves and plants that would serve as hiding places. also ketapang leaves strewn about the bottom. i was thinking of getting rid of some of the corydoras, the are to skiddish for me, compared to the other fish in the tank.

hope thois helps

-Thomas

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….