• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tips after spawning

danbb

Tonight I found some eggs on the tank decor, for sure yesterday wasn't there, and the female becomes extremely territorial.
What tips do you have for me?
- should I change water these days (how much) or not?
- it's better if I let the "moonlight" leds on, during the night? (I have only cockatoo in the tank)
Any tips from you guys are welcome.

regani

5 Year Member
In my experience there is no need to deviate from your normal water changing schedule. Just avoid having a strong current around the breeding site when adding the fresh water.
Same goes for the lighting, if they are used to a certain pattern there, no need to change it.
Start hatching some brine shrimp if you can as they make excellent first food for apisto fry.

danbb

Thanks Regani. Some recommend to change 10-15 % water every day, I will change only within 7 days, let see what happen (today is day no 7). The water flow is not big, but I didn't add extra aeration. I need to do that?
I just ordered some brine shrimp but I don't know when they will arrive.

danbb

For first week or two, should not use infusoria? Can they eat baby brine shrimp from the beginning?

regani

5 Year Member
I don't think extra aeration or filtration is really necessary if there is sufficient surface movement and filtration. If you want to keep the fry in the same tank as the parents after the first couple of weeks you want to think about increasing the water changes then. because of the larger number of of fish (when the fry grow up) more waste is produced. I usually remove the fry after 2-3 weeks into separate tank and again a month or two later into a larger grow- out tank. I find it easier to keep up the water quality this way.

Once the fry are free swimming they will be able to eat freshly hatched brine shrimp but I am sure they will eat infusoria as well if you have those available. I also leave all my breeding tanks fairly 'dirty', that is I do leave most of the mulm from decaying leaves etc in the tank as this is an excellent breeding ground for all sorts of micro organisms that the very young fry will feed on as well.

danbb

Bad news... today I found out that there is no eggs, the female is coming back to the place where the eggs was, so she didn't move them, maybe eat them... There are just 3-4 eggs, fallen off the decor. That is the second spawn for this female, maybe she is young or maybe she was stressed.

regani

5 Year Member
It can happen with some of the spawns that the female decides to eat them, either because of inexperience, or maybe because she felt it wasn't safe enough for the fry. But if the pair has spawned, they will spawn again.
Maybe add some additional decorations to make her feel moe secure?

danbb

I will start a new tank next days, this one will be full of wood and leaves, I think they will love it. What are your suggestions for a 100 L tank: one pair or 1 male and 2 females?

regani

5 Year Member
Depends on the size of the bottom area. Females need about 30x30cm for their territory with a cave/hideout in the centre, males 2-3x that space. Some species are also more aggressive than others. A pair of cacatuoides will work fine, if the individuals are not too aggressive you can also get a trio in if there are enough hiding places and structures to break line-of-sight

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….