• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The tale of the driftwood giant

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Four years ago set up a 150 gallon extra tall tank. The tank was on sale so getting it was a surprise purchase. I had no plan other than getting it set up pronto.
I had built a stand for 8 end out 15s and in my rush I used that stand for the extra tall. I didnt discover that my stand was an inch and a half too wide until I had moved fish around and there was no turning back.
Have you ever loved and hated something at the same time? I loved the size of the tank. I hated the way it was set up.
This is how it looked during its first few months
DSC00353.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

In the begining there were a mixed bag of fish in the tank. Over time its had Angels, Geophagus, Discus, Wild Angels in it. The only fish that ever lived in the tank long term were two Biotodoma Cupido.
I ended up moving big tanks around and setting up more but the 150 extra tall remained in a state of flux. I wanted to make it really nice but it was lacking something. Among the things I was unhappy with besides the stand were the background, I had painted a sheet of paper black. It looked good for a week then started wrinkling from humidity.
Another tank sale and suddenly I had another 150 extra tall. This one I had a plan for. It was going to be an angel fish habitat tank for Peruvian Black spotted angelfish. I had the group of fish for a few months and I had a plan. Find some really tall wood, something with sticks so that it would appear as though it was a steep riverbank. I had seen some habitat pictures and thats how I wanted the tank to look. I took my time and found the right wood and parts, slowly the tank went up and within the first two months my group of angels that moved in were laying eggs.
DSC04033.jpg

This is what that tank looked like during month three. I was tickled with how it looked and how everything worked. I made a heater module that doubles as a Co2 chamber, the tank also has a full stream UV. I spend almost no time working on this tank. Its pretty trouble free.
This is what the two tanks "the twins" look like side by side
DSC04425.jpg

When you see the two side by side the first thing I always noticed was that the angel tank was .25 inches higher, and the other stand was too wide and unpainted. I had to fix it but I didnt have the time or space to move the fish and straighten everything out. I also didnt have a plan yet.
ACA 2009 changed all that. Upon walking to the registration room I passed by this.
8F2U2073.jpg

It was breathtaking! Like seeing a beautiful woman for the first time. I had too have it. Lucky for me I had 15 tanks of fish for sale. By Saturday a deal was struck and the chore of getting it back to Pa started. I also now knew what my plan for the 150 was going to be.
Time passed and work, cars, and other fish stuff always had me doing other stuff so the dream wood sat on my back porch getting a nice weatherd finish. Last year it got Christmas decorated, it holds a beer bottle in the summer perfectly.
As luck would have it I ended up with another 150 this one a 72x18x27. At the same time I had taken down three 50 breeders so I had a big stand that was empty. All along I had been doing small stuff to try and be ready.
8F2U2862.jpg

Things like pulling the substrate and potting the plants made life easy when the big switch came.
8F2U6012.jpg

IMG-20101229-00003.jpg

IMG-20101231-00008.jpg

IMG-20101231-00009.jpg

IMF non contact flow sensing switch
IMG-20101231-00011.jpg

First cuts
IMG-20110105-00014.jpg

All cuts made, wood drilled and pinned in place
IMG-20110105-00016.jpg

Rough sized pins
IMG-20110105-00017.jpg

This is the modified stand fitting snug, level and painted
8F2U6014.jpg

The wood cut down to size and ready to get back in the tank, the tank was painted on three sides with Krylon Espresso brown.
8F2U6029.jpg

8F2U6022.jpg

8F2U6020.jpg

Heat Co2, I was still welding new fittings on my UV light
8F2U6031.jpg

After plumbing filtration were installed and started
8F2U6035.jpg

A better view of utilities
8F2U6038.jpg

Manual and automatic water change valves

So Its almost done. My Nahmunda Discus will move back home when everything is just right. The moral of this post is its better to have a plan. Jeff here she is, in water! It sunk right away.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
:biggrin: Congrats!!! I'm happy that killer piece ended up going to such a great home. I can't wait to see the progression as you complete the ream tank. And here I was worried as you strated to stp back on your fish keeping efforts...

Hopefully I get to see the tanks in person next fall when I'm out that way.

Jeff

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Consider yourself invited. As of now I'm waiting for a few bags of ADA, two FX5 rim clamps and some electrical odds and ends. By the time ACA rolls around the entire room will be automated!

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I finished adding plant substrate and performed a 90 gallon water change
8F2U6088.jpg

All of the swordplants and Vals had been potted in the tank proir to its takedown. I pruned and spiffied up the plants before they were rooted in the tank. I intend to let these plants expand and see how things fill out. My hope is that the Vals take off and crowd in the left side of the tank.
8F2U6088.jpg

After a day of running I put the cap sand over the plant substrate. I got a few bags of this fine carmel colored sand from Mark at Anubias Design, it is by far the nicest texture and colored substrate I have used.
8F2U6091.jpg

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Any updates? Such a great piece of driftwood (and great thread too). My plecos would love a a piece like that (both to hide in and eat). Are you planning to attach any plants to the driftwood (are there any Amazonian "epiphytic" plants?).

And any websites anyone can recommend which have similar threads decorating with driftwood? I've been eyeing a 56 column tank, and could use ideas on who to arrange the driftwood/bogwood/manzanita I have.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Most of the south american epiphytes are orchids and bromeliads. I am not sure if pennywort would fall into this class of plant.
I have tied off two petite anubias but only to hide where I have made obvious cuts. I made the mistake of thinking L-129 was not going to harm the sword plants but alas they did damage in short order. The Echinodorus bleheri, Echinodorus ‘Ozelot’ and Echinodorus uruguayensis have had to be pruned back to remove the injured leaves. I would like to add Echinodorus harbich or Echinodorus horemanii 'Red' to the tank but I'm waiting to see how the others recover and trying to get a handle on what the long term NPK is going to look like.

The very best news is that the 12 Corydoras duplicarieus I added to the tank have laid well over 300 eggs since their introduction. I have had to make an incubator to keep up with them. It averages 20-25 per day with a low of 2 and a high of 82. For now they have the tank to themselves, when I tire of watching females do the egg carry and males shimmy I will add other fish.

And Thank You!
Bigbird, good to hear from you
Linus are you a CCA guy? Did I meet you at Ryans?

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Chris- nope, I don't think we've met. I haven't joined or gone to a CCA meeting yet. Just got in to Apistos (actually, I'm a much bigger pleco fan- did you come to the Catfish Convention? I'm only a member of PVAS, but may be joining CCA and GWAPA next). I only have A. borelli, but would love to get some cacautoides and trifasciata. I'm also in to orchids, mostly sanderianum hybrids.

Yah, I don't have any more amazon swords left in my tank as my supposedly "carnivorous" plecos like to eat them (L91, L114, and L234, though the L234 died in the move about 8 months ago; also have L204). I've given up on being biotopically correct for the plants. Java fern, crypts and anubias seem to do ok with my plecos. Supposedly bristlenose plecos don't damage plants, if you want to swap out your L129.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….