• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

territorial anomala any tankmates?

uberape

Hi I have an nannacara anomala male in a 15 gallon and he has gone all colonel kurtz on me. every time i try to add a tankmate he tries to kill them. so far hes killed a filter shrimp, three golden barbs and a betta female. I guess that black phantom tetra could deal with him but i already have them. Is there any tank mates that you would recommend or should i keep colonel kurtz on his own?

regani

5 Year Member
I have some pencil fish with my Nannacara, they seem to to ok and are fast enough to escape the aggression of the female when she has fry and declares war on anything that moves or is immobile but somehow suspicious ....

gerald

5 Year Member
I would try a school of med-size active tetras like Colombian red/blue or Buenos Aires tetras, or giant danios. Certainly NO bottom dwellers. A Nannacara guarding a nest site or fry is a miniature pit-bull, and 15 gal doesn't give much space for escape.

uberape

those tetra are a little big arent they? sometimes I feel this fish looking at me, i think he's got issues. i'll try add something if he gets dispondent, for now its kurtz's planted 15.

harry12345

I tink Nannacara anomala is too agessive to keep othe fish with it.
They killed my male ramirezi wildcatch. I am glad I don't have them anymore.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A 15 is a bit small for other cichlids. Try a small school of tetras, but before adding remove the Golden Eye and rearrange the decor. Then return him back. He'll be a bit disoriented for a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….