• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank set-up, mixing

J

jimmyB

Hello, I'm a new member with a few questions:

I am setting up a new tank, approximately 90 gallons, with a footprint of 36" x 18". The bottom will have small diameter gravel, with plenty of rocks and driftwood, some plastic plants as well. I have plans to stock the tank initially with some Angelfish, one day months from now perhaps discus. I know those fish spend most of their time in the middle and top levels of the water column, so I really wanted to get 2 species of interesting dwarf cichlids for this tank. I was wondering which species could co-habitate this tank, maybe setting up caves at opposite ends of the tank. Some of the species that are available in my part of the world (central USA) include Kribensis, Rams, and Caucatoides. Also, many tanganyikan species, although I don't know if they would be appropriate. My pH will be approximately 7.2. I plan to have the temperature aornd 78 degrees F. Can I safely raise 2 species? Or should I go for 1 species but a larger colony?

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Hi Jimmy, welcome to the forum.

Cichlids are wonderfully entertaining fish, so you've made an interesting choice. One thing to keep in mind is that even the most passive of cichlids will be territorial by nature. Trying to protect a territory, in order to secure a spawn site.

To start, Tanganyikan cichlids are a bit of my specialty, and most of the reason why the site admin's keep me here. ;-) Lake Tanganyika is a fascinating lake, with some incredible fish, but the water is very hard, typically ph well above 8.0. These fish would not at all be happy in the water conditions you seem to have, so I'd take a pass on them.

Given my specialty is Tang's, I'll leave it at that, and those who have more expertise in these other dwarfs can help from there. Just based on floor plan though, I think you'll find your best solution is going to be the Angels, and one species of dwarf.

J

jimmyB

I'm also looking into the availability of keyhole cichlids too. Not sure if they will spend quite as much time near the bottom of the tank. Anybody know?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….