• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking the babies away?

trev1

5 Year Member
I have a pair of bandwouri and they had 20 young
then 10 and this morning 3..
Should I take the babies away when free
swimming to get the most from the pair?
I am wanting to supply some stores so
getting the most from the pair is the idea.
I just don't want to have this happen again.

Trev

nellyfish22

5 Year Member
What else do you have in the tank?If you are housing the pair on their own it might be an idea to add some dither fish to focus their attention on protecting the fry. As for separating the fry, with my P.Taeniatus I generally try to leave them for as long as I can, but this is different for different people. I would at least leave them with the parents until about 2 weeks after freeswimming. This is when you will begin to notice the fry becoming a little more independent from the parents and instead of being in a tight group, they will be more dispersed around the tank.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I've had the same problem. I learned that if I keep the free swimming fry with the parent's too long, they'll slowly get picked off. But, if you take them away to soon, you'll really upset the apisto parents. The first batch I took away at 4 weeks, and only ended up with nine fry. The second batch I took away at 1 week, and really upset the mother. They didn't spawn again for four months. I'd say if you notice you're losing fry, try and take them. It's easiest for me to take them right after I turn on the lights.

nellyfish22

5 Year Member
It is strange that your fish only seem to pick the fry of gradually. Usually, in my experiences the fry would all be driven away, or eaten if that's what is happening. I have never had fry be picked off in this fashion, although I have had a pair of P.Taeniatus Moliwe that produced a small batch of seven and then all of a sudden they disappeared and then a monster batch of over 100 appeared. I suppose this was because the pair weren't content with their small batch. I find that 2 weeks is about the right time to seperate the fry as any younger and they are still heavily reliant on their parents to lead them, again this is my experience and is not necessarily right :biggrin:

trev1

5 Year Member
thanks

thanks for the reply everyone. I found a few more today after work..
hope these stick around..

trev

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….