• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

suggestion of first fish and my current tank

J

jaarient

Hi, I am brand new to dwarf cichlids and have questions :confused:

I set up my 58 gal tank with the intentions of getting two Kribensis from my local pet store. I only have some small fish in the tank right now which has been set up for about 5 months now.

4 sword tails (pineapple and velvet).
1 flying fox (bottom eater)
1 Spot loach.
1 Albino Pleco.
4 Zebra Danio.
(Thinking of adding some small veil tail Angelfish)

Now waiting for more than two months for the local pet store to get a female in for me, I have started looking else where. Also starting noticing other species from web sites. The cacatuoides mentioned in the other tread look great. So would anyone be willing to recommend a hardy, peaceful community fish, with good colors and personality? Better yet, where can I get anything in the Chicago suburb area? Would anyone trust mail service form a web site?

I have had a tropical freshwater tank for 20 years at least, and now getting more interested. I have small gravel substrate with plastic plants and many flat rocks stacked up high in the tank. I was thinking of using some silicon to attach some flat rock together to make it more natural looking cave for the pair of dwarf cichlids. Doing this over using small pots. Any thoughts on this or my tank set up?

What kind of pots are people using as caves? Terracotta or plastic? size in diameter of top opening?

Much appreciation for any thoughts....Thanks :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most commonly available apistos will do OK in you set-up. If you are interested in a community tank, I'd suggest buying a couple of males. If you expect to have them breed, it is best to use a separate breeding tank without the other fish.

Tea

5 Year Member
Hello

Hello Jaarient, I am from Racine Wi and make frequent trips down to Chicago for the Gcca events. I will be down there for the classic this weekend. I have some fish avaliable if you are intrested drop me an email. As for pots I prefer to use clay pots about 2 to 3.5 in diameter.[email protected]
Vue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….