• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking a 40 gallon

A

aronmoir

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and basically a rookie at keeping dwarf cichlids. I've kept a couple in the past, but only briefly. I'm starting up a 40 gallon tank and I'm not sure how to stock it. I want to go with: 4 A. Cacataudes(1M,3F), a pair of German blue rams, some cory cats, and a school of neon or cardinal tetras. I'd also like to make it a planted tank and would very much like the cichlids to breed. My R/O water has a pH of 6.2-6.4, GH 2, KH 2. This is pretty close to what I want? Feedback, please. Thanks in advance.

M

morten

If you want to breed the the apistogramma c. you would want a ph <=5, same goes for the rams (I think). Most corys don't like ph <5 so I would skip them if I where you.

I just killed 4 c. paletus this way, but they seem to do well in ph 5 and up.

Z Man

5 Year Member
A. cacatuoides are one of the more forgiving Apisto's. I breed them easily in a 7.5pH and hardness of 160ppm TDS. The Blues Rams will do well but almost impossible to breed in a community tank because they are not the best of parents. Just by your numbers. I would think you will be fine.

A

aronmoir

Thank you for the replies. I'm running an Eheim 2213 cannister filter, rated for a 66 gallon tank, so I think I should have plenty of filtration. Would it be a mistake to add a pair of A. Inca, or wouldn't there be enough territory? The tank is the same dimensions as a 55 gallon, just not as tall. Also, I'm wondering what types of plants I could have in the tank. All I have for lighting is a regular 48" 40W bulb. Not much, I know, but I've read that most of the apistos prefer muted lighting. Maybe I should set up a 10 or 15 gallon breeding tank and just separate the male and female if they've paired off. Would the cory cats and neon tetras pose a threat to the babies, or is the mother just that good? A lot of questions, I know, but I don't want to be completely off in my expectations. Thanks!

Zapisto

5 Year Member
i second Z man,

i breed A. cacatuoides in a large range of PH
starting at 5 to 7.5
at that point now i dont care anymore for Ph or hardness for this fish :)
just care of teh water quality and they do the rest.

your setup is fine for mr but i will not put expectation on Rams breed in that tank.
they will probably lay egg but not much, you a chance only if you get the rare good rams parents :)

Neil

aronmoir,

Your water sounds great to me for all 3 of the species that you mention. Whether you could successfully keep and breed all 3 in a tank that sized is a different ballgame. I would stick with the rams and cacs. Set up a breeder for the incas, if you so desire. You will have fewer problems this way.

All I have for lighting is a regular 48" 40W bulb.

I think that should be fine. I only use an overhead light that is in my fishroom to subtly light most of my tank (plus a window). But, then again, I am into breeding, not show. IMO they do seem to do well in a subdued lighting situation, but can easily be just as productive in a heavily lite planted aquaria.

Would the cory cats and neon tetras pose a threat to the babies

Just about all other fish in the tank pose a possible threat to a fry. Whether the parents can defend their fry depends as much on the individuals as the species.

Neil

Neil

morten,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If you want to breed the the apistogramma c. you would want a ph <=5, same goes for the rams (I think).

Although there are many species that do require a very low pH and/or hardness, cacatuoides does not seem to be one of them. Like the others, I have found that cacs will easily breed in much more alkaline water than you mention. However, I have bred them in low pH with reasonable results. They seem to be a thankfully variable fish that can respond well to many conditions. Clean water and a good diet would be their 2 true necessary requirements.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….