• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

South American dwarfs in Sydney?

A

anti generic

Hi everyone

can anyone tell me where i can get south American dwarfs and especially apistos here in Sydney?

i heard that there are stockists that hold them
but most aquariums dont stock them
coz they are too small and cant attract enough attention
and thus dont sell

i really really wanna find a place where i can browse through and find the fish i want.

any help would be greatly apreciated

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Importing into Australia is a nightmare. I looked into it once and the quarentine time period is just about the same length as the fishes life! Unless the laws change I dont see it happening. Of course this all hinges n the fact you are talking about the Sydney down under

A

anti generic

thank you guys very much for your reply
this info is greatly appreciated

Neil

anti generic,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You can also search though the memberlist here and PM some of the other Aussies. Good luck in your searching.

Neil

O

onlyme

I am in Sydney and I have recently aquired 3 trios of Apisto species. Parramatta Aquariums have a few, as do Auburn Aquarium. Regrettably they don't suit Sydney tap water and I suspect this is the main reason for their lack of popularity. I love them and am lucky to have access to a supply of clean rain water.

Quarrentine for all Cichlids into this country is 2 weeks, assuming they are on the permitted import list. All Apistos sp. are permitted to be imported into australia. However the import is still not easy. They must come from an approved facility in the country of origin and must go into a licenced quarrentine station at this end. They are imported by at least 2 of the major wholesalers in Australia. I have a draft development application for such a facility in progess at the moment, but it takes time and money.

I am happy for you to make contact with me via email if you like?

Craig.

P

petroby

G'day, good to see some Aussies on here. In Victoria we have a 3 week quarantine period not 2 weeks.
The wholesaler here brings in many Apistogramma and we have a great supply of new species available all the time.
At present Ap. cacatoides ( at least 3 morphs), agassizii (at least 3 morphs), iniridae, borelli, biteniata & a juruenensis type.
We are very lucky our water here is perfect for Apisto's, very soft and usually neutral depending where you live.
Good Luck in your dwarf husbandry up there.

faewyn

5 Year Member
Hi, I would try SLS (Slippery Little Suckers) in sydney, they carry alot of fish and are very good to dea lwith, I live in Adelaide and have ordered some fish, non cichlid from them :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alejandro Thiermann

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(