• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

South american blackwater biotope

K

K-Holed

Hi new to the forum and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I've recently inherited a 24x12x12 tank and I was wanting to set it up as a south american blackwater biotope. I would be keeping a shoal of tetras and some corries. I also wanted a feature fish and my friend from another forum suggested perhaps a pair of apistos. would they be suitable for this environment? After looking at them I've fallen in love with them and I'd almost be tempeted to abandon all my plans to keep them :p

Tank you in advance for any advice you can give

James

aspen

5 Year Member
hi james. a true blackwater biotope tank is stained very black with peat, and the water is very soft, gh < 1, ph can be as low as 4.0, more like 5.5. this is perfect for most s/a fish, like most tetras, cories and esp apistos or rams. however, there is no need to use pure r/o ,many of us use our tapwater or a tap/r/o mix depending on how hard it is.

try doing a search here for apistogramma cacatuoides or a. borellii, and see if these beginner fish suit your fancy.

you are right, a pair or trio of dwarfs in the right tank kept properly is worth the effort. there are lots of posts here about keeping and breeding lots of different types.

rick

K

K-Holed

Thnkyou for your reply :) The species you have mntioned are truely beautiful. I'm fairly lucky in my area as we have soft slightly alkaline water (around 7.2-7.5) so its fairly good water to start with. I''m thinking of adding peat to my canister filter, is this a good idea?

aspen

5 Year Member
i would put a bag of peat in a corner of the tank where there's flow. i don't buy the stuff from the lfs, the stuff from the garden center is much cheaper.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….