• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Apisto sp inca

Deedoo

5 Year Member
Hello all !

I am back ! I lost my Biotoecus opercularis this summer because of very high temperatures here in Paris this summer :cry: :cry: :cry:
But I have now 5 juvies of Apistogramma sp inca (2 cm) and I would like to know how to be sure of their sex ?
One of them has red on the caudal fin and no black on the pelvic fins. I think he is a male. The 4 others have no red on the caudal fin but black on pelvic fins. Are they all females ? They always fight ! Here are some photos :

http://aquabonsai.free.fr/Apisto_male_web.jpg

http://aquabonsai.free.fr/apistos_web.jpg

http://aquabonsai.free.fr/Apisto juv parade_male.JPG

Deedoo

5 Year Member
Hello Peter !

Thank you :). So now, I know that I have one male for 4 females ! What a lucky male he is ! :lol: Are the Apisto sp inca polygams ?

Thanks.
Deedoo

Neil

Welcome back, Deedoo!

Sorry to hear about your biotecus. That is a shame.

The second photo also shows the bluer sheen of a male. Males develop longer rays on the backside of the dorsal and on the anal and ventral fins. They also develop seperated and extended filaments on the first several anterior rays of the dorsal, usually with red tips. They have more pronounced spangling on the back portion of the anal fin and a clearer red crescent on the caudal. Females can have this spangling and crescent, but it is usually muted. Females have shorter rays on their fins and often have the above mentioned black front edging to the ventral. Their body color is about the same in unmature specimens, but will become yellower, instead of blue (obviously much yellower during reproduction). The vertical bands on a female are often very clearly visable, especially during breeding.

I would say it is a good bet that you have 1 male and 4 females and yes your male should be happy!

One other thing. The pictures that you show are quite nice, but could you please link them to their web location rather than directly please. We'ld like to display small image files and link large ones. Yours are very nice, but very big.

Thank you,

Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….