• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sex Determination - Viejita

Borked

5 Year Member
I picked up a beautiful male and what looked to be a female a couple of days ago. The male is obviously male but the "female" doesnt't look like a female. The "female" was the largest female looking one in the lfs and both the lfs guy and myself though it to be female. Now it seems that she could be a he. What do you guys think?

both.jpg

TIA & Peace
-Kyle

BTW - Male is lower left, female if upper right, sorry for the quality

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
That's a male no doubt. if you look at teh dorsal and anal fins the apear long and pointy. they look like they will extend past the caudal fin.
They are suppose to be real tough to sex unless they are old enough. At least in comparison with other apistos.

Borked

5 Year Member
mk_ultra said:
That's a male no doubt. if you look at teh dorsal and anal fins the apear long and pointy. they look like they will extend past the caudal fin.
They are suppose to be real tough to sex unless they are old enough. At least in comparison with other apistos.

So you mean the "female" is a male?

-Kyle

Z Man

5 Year Member
Yeah, Those are two males. Check your store again to see if any on the fish have black front edges to their ventral fins. At that size it should be easy to see. The females should also have a rounded tail.

Borked

5 Year Member
I'm swapping the store for one of the females today. They had quite a few small females as well as the two males I picked up. I guess the smaller male I picked was just faining female. When the lfs guy and I were looking for a good mate the smaller males fins were not out and his color was very bland (for a male) and looked like the other small females. Within a day his color was nice and fins were open. So I started second guessing myself. The only reason I was not sure was the big difference on the front of the dorsal fin. The large male has quite a peak to his but the little ones is very rounded.

Thanks for the clarification.

-Kyle

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….