• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setting an Apistos tank - Needs help!

charlon_ellul

5 Year Member
Correct me where I'm wrong since this is my first thread.

I had just acquired a 80 ltrs tank which I intend to set up, heavily planted for Apistos and some Ramirezi, with some dither fish such as neons.

I am currently more attracted to Apistogramma cacatuoides, but is this suitable for my tank?

And what would be your stocking levels in such a tank regarding the apistos and the rams, taking into cosideration that they can be teritorial when breeding?

Would neon tetras be too small to end up as prey or they can host the same tank without problems?

Thanks for your support, any help is greatly appreciated!

blueblue

5 Year Member
Correct me where I'm wrong since this is my first thread.

I had just acquired a 80 ltrs tank which I intend to set up, heavily planted for Apistos and some Ramirezi, with some dither fish such as neons.

I am currently more attracted to Apistogramma cacatuoides, but is this suitable for my tank?

And what would be your stocking levels in such a tank regarding the apistos and the rams, taking into cosideration that they can be teritorial when breeding?

Would neon tetras be too small to end up as prey or they can host the same tank without problems?

Thanks for your support, any help is greatly appreciated!

A. caca should be okay in your planted tank.
I think keep one pair of caca and one pair of ram will be a good idea.

Tetra neon lives well with apistos and you could house a school of 10 pieces without problem.

charlon_ellul

5 Year Member
Rams form pairs and Apistogramma form harems right?

Keeping a trio of 1m and 2f A. caca with the pair of rams would be too much?
And what bottom feeders do you suggest?

Thanks.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Rams form pairs and Apistogramma form harems right?

Keeping a trio of 1m and 2f A. caca with the pair of rams would be too much?
And what bottom feeders do you suggest?

Thanks.

Why do you want to keep a trio? With trio, you may even have more territorial problem, i think. Anyhow, a trio of caca + 1 pair of ram is not too much for your 80 liters tank.

For bottom feeders, odo should be good...

charlon_ellul

5 Year Member
Why do you want to keep a trio? With trio, you may even have more territorial problem, i think. Anyhow, a trio of caca + 1 pair of ram is not too much for your 80 liters tank.

For bottom feeders, odo should be good...

I read on the net that with apistogramma sp. having a trio can sometimes lead to having 2 females spawning at the same time, which would be nice since breeeding them will be one of my objectives.

With reference to odo, I didn't know what they are, and searching on the net gave me the wrong sp. I guess. Can you pls give me the full or scientific name?

Thanks.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Blueblue meant Oto, as in Otocinclus. It's a genus of South American dwarf suckermouth catfish. A great little algae eater.

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
breeeding them [A. cacatuoides] will be one of my objectives

Welcome to the forum, Charlon. You will find more good information here than anywhere else on the internet.

An 80 L aquarium is an excellent size for breeding most Apistogramma or keeping them in a community - but not both. Think about it. How often do you see fry survive in a community tank? You may get 1 or 2, but not many more. In your proposed tank, the Neon Tetras will eat most of the fry. While the female A. cacatuoides drives away one attacker, the other Neons will start eating the fry. The male will not assist in fry protection except indirectly. He will protect his territory, which includes the females' territories - but only from other cichlids and bottom dwellers like the Rams. If you will be happy with just a few fry surviving, then the community tank will be very attractive and busy. If you want more fry, then keep the A. cacatuoides as the only bottom dwellers. Instead of Neon Tetras, use top dwelling species like pencilfishes (Nannostomus, Pyrrhulina, & Copella sp.) or smaller hatchetfishes (Carnegiella sp.), which do not actively prey upon bottom dwelling fry. It is your decision. Good luck with your aquarium whichever way you decide.

charlon_ellul

5 Year Member
Thanks for the warm welcome, really informative forum.

I would rather keep the apistogramma in a community than in a species tank. The centerpiece would be the apistogramma and the rams, the neons are just dither fish so changing them with some pencilfish would not bother me at all.

Will I have more fry surviving if I replace the neons with the pencilfish and keeping the rams and some otos?

What other fish (like the pencilfish) do you suggest as dither fish with the a. caca?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've got a two foot tank with pencilfish and I've put some Epiplatys killifish in too as fish that mainly swim at the surface. The female is happily raising a brood of fry with those tank-mates. I'd definitely recommend a small group of non-annual killifish.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Epiplatys are great as they stay near the top and don't seem to interact with the Apistogrammas at all. Other than them any of the Aphyosemions, especially those in the Chromaphyosemion group, should work well.

I've got Fundulopanchax gardneri and I'm not sure whether they'd be too boisterous or not, I'll have to try them soon.

I've also got some Lampeyes coming soon that shoal more like tetras and they will be great with Apistogrammas I'm sure.

The only ones I'd avoid at first were anything too big and the annual species like Nothobranchius, Astrolebias etc.

Have a look at this site, http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killifish/Killifish Website/Genera_Index.htm

This is the Epiplatys I have. http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killifish/Killifish Website/Ref_Library/Epiplatys/E.dageti.htm Not the most gaudy, but the black bars are very pronounced on my strain.

Here are another few decent choices, but browse through the whole list if you have time!
http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killifish/Killifish Website/Ref_Library/Aphyosemion/A.bivittatum.htm
http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killifish/Killifish Website/Ref_Library/Aphyosemion/A.australe.htm

beleg

5 Year Member
Ed please let us know about your experiences with gardneri. I kept those fish and i loved them. Would be awesome to have them as safe ditherfish :)

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ed please let us know about your experiences with gardneri. I kept those fish and i loved them. Would be awesome to have them as safe ditherfish :)

Will do Beleg. I'm away this weekend, but next weekend may well try and move the killis over as the 11 Fp.gardneri 'Nsukka Gold' I have are now getting too big for the Nano tank they've grown up in!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….