• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Set up confirmation

C

Clone

I have been in the hobby for about 8 years now and am just getting around to cichlids. Planted tanks are my true love in the hobby, and I have a 58 gallon Oceanic that I set up in November that needs some livestock. All I have in there now are a hand full of Otto cats, a bristlenose pleco, and 4 red eye tetras. Not very exciting.

I have been hitting the net in search of info on dwarf cichlids and stumbled on to this site. My relevant water parameters are: pH ~6.5 (due to CO2 injection), GH 16-18 degrees and water temp 76 degrees.

I would really like to get a pair of Kribs, with a pair of Bolivian Rams and Checkerboard Cichlids (Dicrossus filamentosus.) The latter two are available at The Fish Place and are beautiful. However, after doing a search on this forum it appears the Kribs are aggressive feeders and the rams would be scrounging for food. Is this assessment correct? If so I would substitute the Kribs with Keyholes.

I would also like to know if I could get away with adding another cichlid species, an Apisto sp. or Angles(my wife loves them). I appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.

Thanks,

-Jake

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jake,

I'd suggest leaving out the checkerboards. These fish never do well in aquaria with harder water. They prefer pH values around 4.5 - 5.5 and very soft water. Keyhole Cichlids are excellent fish for planted tanks. They are very shy in underplanted tanks. If you are not interested in breeding your fish, I see no problem keeping angels, Keyholes, and Bolivian Rams together.

C

Clone

Thanks for the help. I picked up a pair of Bolivians and a pair of Apito. agassizii "double red" yesterday. So far both species are very shy and hide when ever I approach the tank. A different LFS has Kribs for sale should I shy away from them given their "breeding disposition?" What if I was to get two Kribs of the same gender?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would not mix West African & South American dwarf cichlids. Their methods of communicating their moods are different. This can lead to unnecessary fights. Might I suggest a second West African tank?

C

Clone

Mike Wise:
Might I suggest a second West African tank?
Don't tempt me. If I set up any more tanks I will have to start removing furniture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….