• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sand for substrate

scott

5 Year Member
i just wanted to hear some thoughts on the use of play sand or filter sand as substrate instead of the traditional stuff sold at the fish stores. the lfs' in my area only seem to have white, black or crazy colors like red and purple. i normally use white sand or very fine natural color gravel. i was thinking that natural colored sand would make a nice substrate.

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
I've been using play sand exclusively for the past few years.

Never changed the water parameters, fish love it, it's natural looking.

Onbly problem, it's a PITA to rinse out the first time... so much dust in the stuff!! But once it's fully rinsed out, it's great.

depthc

5 Year Member
I use pool filter sand. Its a very light color and looks great, very natural. It also was easy to rinse for me, there must not have been that many dust particles ... so yeah i think sand is the way to go try it out.

Andrew

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
Another option is sand for a sand blaster, it is sold in several grit sizes.

Yes, that's good also. Not much dust in there usually.
But you have to make sure it is sand. At the shop where I work, we have steel and glass beads as "sand" for the sand blasters.

depthc

5 Year Member
Cichlid Junkie said:
Make sure you raise your filter intake tube to about 2" off the top of the sand. A pre-filter can help prevent sand in the impeller as well.

Thats a great idea. If your doing water changes or whatever and you kick up some sand it may be best to turn it off during the water change to avoid any impellar damage due to the sand particles being sucked up.

cichlid junkie - what are you using as a prefilter? Ive been using ends of spandex or whatever you wanna call it. Ive thought of switching over to a sponge recently ...

Andrew

geo32100

5 Year Member
Is there a trick to cleaning the sand, my local lfs demonstrated doing it with a net with holes wide enough to let sand fall through and keep detritus in. As of yet I dont quite have the nknack for it. I seem to bury more than I remove.
Which leads to alot of sifting. Any pointers.

Thanks
Geo

fishgeek

i just vacumn above it , dont bother digging around unless you have it particularly deep

i use always silica sand which is quite light , when it first goes into the water surface tension is enough to hold it up

i never find i get anaerobic pockets, then i do hvae cories in lots of tanks turning things over

if your worried about syphoning it up put the end of syphon hose in a bucket and then juat let bucket overflow to drain, most sand will be left in bottom of bucket and can be rinsed and returned to tank

andrew

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I uaually just siphon above the sand as well. Once a month, I move things around, stir it up and run a diatom. Once I do that a few times, I notice less build up under the rocks and wood and stuff.

Rich

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….