• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sample Fish List PLEASE HELP

R

rocketfu

:oops:
Hi all,
I am new to the dwarf cichlid world. I love how the dwarf Cichlids look but I am having a great deal of trouble getting a configuration for a 10 gallon aquarium. I am a college student and I am not trying to breed them, just look at them. I would like to have a community tank if it is possible (bottom feeders, tiger barbs, and dwarf cichlids) is this possible? I really like the Cacutuoides Triple Red dwarfs. I just really need a sample of the kind and number of fish that I can put in this aquarium. I really appreciate all of your help,

Thanks in advance,

rocketfu

Neil

rocketfu,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

That is a very good first choice! You can safely put a group of 6 in a 10g. But a trio might be the most interesting. 2 males and several females would be pressing your luck in that tank. You could also keep just males, but you are robbing yourself of some really interesting behaviors by not keeping both sexes. Even if you are not interested in breeding, I would go the trio route. You WILL get the breeding bug when you are exposed to these fish for awhile.
Tiger barbs may be a little too much with apistos. They can get a little mean and are very active at meal time. I would go with a tetra or rasbora species. But there are any number of other community type fish that you have to choose from.
Cory's or other small bottom feeders will be fine too. Just make sure that the apistos don't have too much competition for food or space. T
he water quality is very important. If the tank has too many fish, the upkeep will be difficult to keep the condition ideal for Apistogramma species.
Have fun, good luck and feel free to ask anything in your new-found interest.
Neil
:D :D :D

farm41

5 Year Member
I have to agree about the tiger barbs, I've had them, and they really do belong in a 3' or 4' long tank. If not they can be real trouble. I've had them in a 20, a 38 and a 55g tank. Only in the 55g were they really doing just fine, and not picking on others.

I do like the cacs though, a great choice, and a couple of cory's.

R

rocketfu

thanks for the great help. when you say trio you mean 3 males and 3 females? Will the Apistos eat fish smaller than them?

Thanks again,

rocketfu

R

rocketfu

Hey guys,
I was wanting to know is adding some ram to the Cockatoo trio out of the question?

thanks,

rocketfu

aspen

5 Year Member
in that tank, yes. by not overstocking, you will see their nicest behaviour. i would take the suggestion of neil's, a trio of a relatively peaceful apisto species and a few (6 maybe) smaller tetras, like glowlights or neons. you will enjoy that mix.

rick

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….