• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Same picture - different fish name

Olga

5 Year Member
While reading again books Cihlid Atlas by U. Römer and Die Buntbarsche Amerikas by I. Koslowski I noticed a strange thing. On page 255 in Römer's book there is a photo of "A. agassizii male, wild-caught specimen from the vicinity of Santarem". In Koslowski's book on page 293 there is exact same photo, but the name of the fish is "A. cf. gephyra from Rio Curua". Could anybody explain to me which information is right, please? Thank you in advance, Olga.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Olga,

The specimen in the photo by Frank Warzel shows features diagnostic of those seen on the Rio Negro species, A. gephyra: red trimmed dorsal fin, shorter & blunter tips on the caudal, dorsal & anal fins, & a lateral band with slight zigzag margins. It barely differs from A. gephyra in the Rio Negro (appears to have darker edges to the back side of each scale below the lateral band).

The species pictured is probably the same as that of the 3 specimens that Kullander used as supplimentary material (but not paratypes) for his description of A. gephyra. These fish came from the Igarapé Grande that enters the Lago Jurucuí near Santarém. Kullander does not explain why he does not use the Igarapé Grande specimens as paratypes, but it might be due to their condition. The Rio Negro "type-series is in fine condition, the small Igarapé Grandes specimens acceptable." In all likelihood the specimen pictured is A. gephyra, but Koslowski put the "cf." in the name because it comes from a great distance from any other location of A. gephyra. Uwe's decision to call it A. agassizii is probably due to an incomplete understanding of what separates A. gephyra from A. agassizii. In matters of accurately identifying apistos, I have found that Koslowski is more careful (and accurate) than Römer. I would go with A. cf. gephyra.

Olga

5 Year Member
Thank you very much, Mike, for detailed explanation. It is great to have an opportunity to get a competent answer on this forum. Do you know if there are any other inaccuracies in Uwe's atlas?
Thank you, Olga

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, there are quite a few errors in Uwe atlas. Some are obvious: A. cf. personata for A. brevis, A. gibbiceps for A. personata, A. sp. Erdfresser/Earth-eater for A. pulchra, some of the photos of A. urteagai are A. sp. Gelbwangen/Yellow-cheeks, etc. Others are more matters of opinion, like the 2 or 3 differernt species (in my opinion) that are pictured as A. cruzi and the fish he calls A. maciliensis & A. eunotus. Although there are a few 'problems', it is an excellent book for the most part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….