• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rummynose Tetra as dithers for apisto tank?

Si

5 Year Member
Hi,

I'm looking for options on dithers for my 40G apisto tank. Currently got:

6 peppered corys
2 ancistrus
3 pairs of A.Borellii - yeh I know what youre gonna say but theyve staked out three totally sep teritories so I may get away with it :) Failing that two of the males will be returned
3 ottocinclus

Tank is heavily planted with bogwood & sand substrate. PH 6.5, kh <2, temp 26 average, nitrate/ite/amm all zero, 30% water change weekly etc
etc

Was originally gonna add cardinal tetras but I spotted the Rummynose Tetra in my lfs when picking up the apistos yesterday, liked the look of em so am looking for opnions on suitabililty.

My aim is the create a south amazonian biotope so am trying to stick to that as much as poss which so far am succeeding.

What other dithers would make a nice change from the run of the mill neons etc?

Si

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Hi Si,

Rummynose tetras are great dithers. I have 10 of them in my planted 55g with apistos and cories. Now all I need are some otos (hard to find around here).

Pencilfish should do great also, I am planning on getting some.

Si

5 Year Member
Thanks guys,

I'll get some then :) Should make a nice change from cardinals too.

Si

Si

5 Year Member
Well i've added em now, got a nice shoal of 12 - look lost in the tank due to it's size but it's brought out whats left of my apistos!

Si

skwelch

5 Year Member
rummeynoses make me tired watching them, they are so fast and active all the time, like on a caffiene rush all the time
theyre nice lookin tho

they probly wont get a chance to eat any fry anyway, i reckon the corys will have the eggs before they get a chance to hatch, dont forget cichlids cant see in the dark, makes it very hard for them to defend the eggs with sneaky hungry corys about
its ok if your not looking to breed the apistos

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'dont forget cichlids cant see in the dark,...'

if you have any expectation of keeping any of your apisto spawns in your community tanks, leave a small light on in the room at night. almost any fish will eat fry when the parents can't see them or have gone to sleep.

i consider rummy's to be good dithers for the more agressive quicker fish, esp cacatuoides, rams or discus. my discus have killed almost all other tetras, including congos, but have never been able to kill rummy's. others describe discus as peaceful community fish, but i have seen mine kill almost anything smaller than them, including cory's, glowlights, neons, cardinals, dwarf bushy's and even a 6" bushynose pleco.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….