• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

luisramos126

So 90cm... too small for a working combination with any Corydoras.

Possibly going to change at some point. Remove the nijsseni rather sooner than later. (Personally I'd keep them and remove the A. cacatuoides.)
I removed the A. cacatuoides. The nijsseni start to fight for a cave with the cacatuoides.

MacZ

So, if I leave it I still call it biotope or not? If does not matter I will leave it until I find some plant.
See, "biotope" is a very flexible term. It can mean simply a small but working ecosystem, regardless of the origin of species. It can also mean a type of habitat, like "South American blackwater creek" with South American fish, regardles whether one species is from the colombian Rio Negro basin and the other from the Essequibo in Suriname. It can also mean "this exact creek 200m east of the village of Pebas in Peru, 1km upstream". The definition of your tank is at your discretion.

My tank for example is just a habitat type igarape/morichal. My fish are from three different places. My Nannostomus eques are wild caught from Peru (the species is wide spread from Peru to Venezuela and Suriname). The Dicrossus filamentosus are of the Orinoco variety, hailing from Colombia. And the Hemigrammus filamentosus are originally from Araguaia/Tocatins in Brazil. So the Nannostomus are the connecting part, they occur with both other species, but the others never meet in the wild.

photo_2023-05-22_19-21-35.jpg

Check this article, I don't know if in Puerto Rico I can find any of these species. https://www.researchgate.net/public...tat_Suitability_in_South_America/figures?lo=1
Yeah, sorry, no. The species from South America have not entered the trade yet. Only recently some people from the UK collected some, but they are not yet available commercially. I would go for Nymphaea lotus as a stand-in. They all look almost identical to the untrained eye.

luisramos126

See, "biotope" is a very flexible term. It can mean simply a small but working ecosystem, regardless of the origin of species. It can also mean a type of habitat, like "South American blackwater creek" with South American fish, regardles whether one species is from the colombian Rio Negro basin and the other from the Essequibo in Suriname. It can also mean "this exact creek 200m east of the village of Pebas in Peru, 1km upstream". The definition of your tank is at your discretion.

My tank for example is just a habitat type igarape/morichal. My fish are from three different places. My Nannostomus eques are wild caught from Peru (the species is wide spread from Peru to Venezuela and Suriname). The Dicrossus filamentosus are of the Orinoco variety, hailing from Colombia. And the Hemigrammus filamentosus are originally from Araguaia/Tocatins in Brazil. So the Nannostomus are the connecting part, they occur with both other species, but the others never meet in the wild.
I understand what you're saying, make sense. So far, I like how my tank came out, that's the main reason.

View attachment 13165

Your tank looks awesome!

Yeah, sorry, no. The species from South America have not entered the trade yet. Only recently some people from the UK collected some, but they are not yet available commercially. I would go for Nymphaea lotus as a stand-in. They all look almost identical to the untrained eye.

I like those Nymphaea. Maybe later I will add some

MacZ

So far, I like how my tank came out, that's the main reason.
And that's all that matters when it comes to looks. Two factors decide: Priority one is the tank is appropriate habitat for the fish. Priority two is that you like the looks of the tank. If the two get into conflict the fishes needs are obviously more important.

Your tank looks awesome!
Thanks! It is less work than you might think.

I like those Nymphaea. Maybe later I will add some
Started out with one, it produced some runners, now there are two and both mainly produce floating leaves, providing cover. Under them the fish move freely in what seems to be open water.

luisramos126

Tom C

5 Year Member
If you want the A. nijsseni to feel "like home", you may add lots of leaves to the (nice) tank.
When I collected A. nijsseni near Jenaro Herrera (Rio Ucayali drainage), the habitat looked like this:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Under the leaves where we sat down, we noticed we had company:

resizeimage.aspx

Besides the A. nijsseni, there were A. cf. agassizii:

resizeimage.aspx

Hatchetfish and very small Characins:

resizeimage.aspx

Moenkhausia (agnesae?):

resizeimage.aspx

and Copeina sp.

resizeimage.aspx

luisramos126

If you want the A. nijsseni to feel "like home", you may add lots of leaves to the (nice) tank.
When I collected A. nijsseni near Jenaro Herrera (Rio Ucayali drainage), the habitat looked like this:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Under the leaves where we sat down, we noticed we had company:

resizeimage.aspx

Besides the A. nijsseni, there were A. cf. agassizii:

resizeimage.aspx

Hatchetfish and very small Characins:

resizeimage.aspx

Moenkhausia (agnesae?):

resizeimage.aspx

and Copeina sp.

resizeimage.aspx

Thanks Tom for the information and examples (photos), that's what I need to add more leaves.

I am planning to add some
Swietenia mahagoni - Mohogany leaves
Plantain leaves
Cappata leaves
Bamboo leaves

Seed pods
Coconut flowers

MacZ

Bamboo leaves
There are poisonous bamboo species, so I'd leave them out unless you know the species and checked they're safe.

Coconut flowers
Rots much too quickly, might trigger a bacteria bloom.

Seed pods
What pods exactly?

Concerning the leaves: While in ature for sure also green leaves enter the water streams, in an aquarium you should avoid that. They contain much more nutrients than brown leaves and thus can cause bacteria to explode. Also add the leaves in batches. 5 big leaves every week until you have the amount you want.

luisramos126

There are poisonous bamboo species, so I'd leave them out unless you know the species and checked they're safe.
I don't know the bamboo species but I used before.

Rots much too quickly, might trigger a bacteria bloom.
This one?

What pods exactly?
Casuarina seed pods, mohogany seed pods, Indian almond seed pods, and cacao seed pods.

Screenshot-20230702-093023-Gallery.jpg

I used it before and I am currently using it in my German blue rams tank.

Concerning the leaves: While in ature for sure also green leaves enter the water streams, in an aquarium you should avoid that. They contain much more nutrients than brown leaves and thus can cause bacteria to explode. Also add the leaves in batches. 5 big leaves every week until you have the amount you want.
Perfect!

Any leaves or seed pods that you recommend?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….