• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rio Tefe biotope

illumnae

5 Year Member
With my recent acquisition of wild apistogramma (A. bitaeniata 'Tefe' and A. agassizii 'Tefe'), I will be setting up a Rio Tefe biotope tank. Tankmates currently included are a small school of 5 green discus. Can anyone help me identify other tankmates to make this an authentic biotope? I'm looking for an algae eater, a corydoras and a schooling fish.

Thanks in advance!

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
There are quite a few Corydoras in the Tefe are also widely distributed. There are only a few that are found only in that area and they are
C elegans

Rineloricaria teffeana

Frank Falcone has tank raised Elegans on Aquabid

illumnae

5 Year Member
There are quite a few Corydoras in the Tefe are also widely distributed. There are only a few that are found only in that area and they are
C elegans

Rineloricaria teffeana

Frank Falcone has tank raised Elegans on Aquabid

Which are the ones that are found in the Tefe and are distributed elsewhere too? I don't mind those in my tank as well :) Also, what schooling fish can I use?

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
All Corydoras are schooling fish. Elegans are of the small size group. Widely dispersed species are arcuatus, pulcher, similis, and many others. Elegans is a neat species as the male and female are different in pattern and size.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Biotope - catfish sp. om "planetcatfish"

Hi all,
If people are interested in biotopes, you can type a location into "planet catfish" search and it will give you a list of Corydoras, Panaque, Tatia sp. etc from that location, it will also allow you to find out how big they grow, and if you have a look at the number of "registered owners", it gives you some idea of how likely you are to be able to obtain the fish.

Rio tefe Loricariids:
Rineloricaria teffeana
& the gorgeous Ancistrus dolichopterus

Callichthyidae:
Corydoras arcuatus

etc.

cheers Darrel

illumnae

5 Year Member
Chris, I meant schooling upper level tetras :)

As for availability, I live in Singapore, so shipping cories via aquabid isn't very viable for me...I have to live with what's available. Arcuatus is easily available for me, elegans not so much. I was just hoping for a wider variety to choose from :)

Darrel, I've already searched planetcatfish, but the list was so small, so I thought I'd just ask around to check :)

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Sometimes mother nature is not as interested in variety as you are. Almost any pencilfish would suit the tank but they do not compete well for food and they have very small mouths.

illumnae

5 Year Member
yeah i guess if i want a strict biotope tank i'll have to be satisfied with less variety :) The apistos are already purchased so I can't change locality now. The green discus will have to do. I'm just quite amazed at the lack of diversity in tefe while most other localities are quite abundant with different species

Just curious, any earth eaters (as replacements if i can't get green discus) come from tefe?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Tefe Eartheater

Satanoperca acuticeps - from
<http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=332>,
Geophagus proximus "Rio Tefe", G. altifrons?
cheers Darrel

Might be some more fish here <http://www.mamiraua.org.br/uakari/pdfs/03/a_01.pdf>
cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes the fasciata form of C. strigata is found in the Tefé, along with C. schereri. A population of the dwarf pencilfish (N. marginatus) and the "Gold-line" population of N. trifasciatus (looks sort of like N. nitidus) also occur in the Tefé.

illumnae

5 Year Member
Thanks so much Mike :) If I can't get colourful schooling tetras as dithers, at least some hatchetfish and pencilfish should go well in the tank to dither the cichlids!

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I fairly sure Marble Hatchets are common in the Tefe' area.
Marble Hatchets need some TLC as soon as you buy them. They nearly always have a latent Ich infection that should be treated as soon as you buy them. Having a good supply of wingless fruit flies will hep them have a higher and longer term survival. They need live flies at least a few times a week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….