• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Repashy Superfoods

illumnae

5 Year Member
I'm thinking of trying out the Repashy line of gel foods for my dwarf cichlids (Ivanacara adoketa, Biotoecus opercularis and Dicrossus foirni), but am not sure which formula is most suitable for them. I've so far tried the Spawn & Grow with mixed results (the I. adoketa definitely don't attack it, but it slowly disappears overnight), and I'm thinking of trying one of the "regular" formulas.

Are dwarf cichlids primarily carnivores, in which case I would get the Meat Pie formula; or are they more omnivorous, in which case I would get the Community (balanced) or Soilent Green (Vege heavy, but still containing meat) formulas; or can they be classified as scavangers, in which case I would get the Shrimp Souffle formula?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Gut exams from the wild indicate that most dwarf cichlids are micro-predators. Most get some vegetable matter in their diet by eating algae and mulm mixed with the crustaceans and insect larvae that are their primary diet.

illumnae

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike! I try to maintain their micro-predatory instincts by providing them with live Malayan shrimp at least once every 2 weeks, and adult brine shrimp whenever I can get them from the LFS. Other than that I feed NLS Thera+A formula. My tank is currently very dimly lit with mulm but little algae, so would you recommend I try the Soilent Green to supplement their diet since it contains algae and spirulina, while still maintaining a pretty decent level of meat ingredients?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since I use only live & frozen foods (in tanks with mulum and algae), I'm really not in a position to recommend one formula over the other. Maybe using both would work?? Besides, your dry foods (which, sadly, my apistos won't touch) helps add needed supplements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….