• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ready for Apistos ?

madpiano

5 Year Member
Hello

I think my tank is finally ready for my Apistos.

Here is the latest Measurements:

PH 7.6
KH 3.64
GH 7.84
Nitrates 5mg/l (or below, the lightest colour on the Hagen Test)
CO2 2.73
Phosphates 1.5mg/l

Which Apistos would be happy, with this ?

I was hoping to start with cactoides, but I can only find Agassizi in the shops. Is the PH too high for those ?

The tank is a Juwel 96 and I have 1 coconut shell (overgrown with Java moss) and 1 Hollow Bogwood in there for breeding caves. There is also some dense plants on the sides and some open swimming area in the middle.

Other tank inhabitants:
10 Neon Tetras
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Otos
5 Amano Shrimp
1 Butterfly Goodeid (cranky old thing may have to go, he drives my Barbs mad)
Unknown number of Red Ramshorn Snails

I decided against the cories, as some people have said that they may eat the Apisto's eggs. Shrimps should be ok ?

Substrate is Playsand.

Thanks
Sabine

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
your PH is a little bit high for any Apisto except Cacs who i already raise and spawn at a PH higher than 7.

and just my opinion , you will have to remove this cherry barb from this tank.

madpiano

5 Year Member
Hiya

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I don't want to play around with the PH too much, otherwise waterchanges will be a pain.

But the Cherry Barbs ? Why would you remove them ? I would have thought the Goodeid could be the problem ?

Thanks
Sabine

Randall

5 Year Member
Suitable Apistos

Dear Madpiano,

In addition to A. cacatuoides, A. borellii does well in slightly alkaline water too. Depending on the size of the tank, Microgeophagus altispinosa, although not an Apisto, is a peaceful dwarf cichlid that would also do well in your water.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

farm41

5 Year Member
My A. hoignei spawned in Ph 7.4, they should do OK for you too, and the water was harder than yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….