• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rapidly breathing Congochromis

raymond82

Hi,

I had had two Congochromis females, one of them died recently and the other one now behaves similar to the one that died. She hides most of the time and she's breathing really rapidly. I tested for nitrite but it is not elevated (I had rapidly breathing fish in another tank and then nitrite was high and a water change cured it). I added some air flow with an airpump but the problem seems to persist.

The other fish look fine (two male Congochromis and a pair of Epiplatys olbrechtsi). I recently treated with a dewormer, they are up for the second treatment in a couple of days.

What could be the cause of this behavior? One of the males is quite dominant, could the rapid breathing be a sign of stress?

raymond82

I don't see anything weird in the color of the gills. What would I see if she had gill flukes?

She's generally off color, she looks completely black and the I don't really see the shiny spot anymore that females of this species have.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Most likely stress from the 2 males. The males are extremely aggressive toward the female except during breeding cycle. If the tank lacks hiding places, chances are the female is getting 'ping pong' by both males. In my case, since I kept them in species tank, I simply remove the male and let my female recovered. After a few weeks of separation and feeding, she was ready to spawn with the male when he was re-introduced.

raymond82

Thanks for sharing that, I already had the feeling that the males were more aggressive than I'm used to with Apistogramma's. Even though the fish that I have are quite young, the larger male is quite pushy. I didn't really have a spare tank to put him in so I put a divider in the aquarium, hopefully that will do the job.

raymond82

After dividing the aquarium and separating the female I didn't see much progress on her. Yesterday I took a close look again and then I saw that she was covered in white spots (either Ich or Velvet, I don't really know the difference between the two). I'm treating her now with medicine, she lost quite some of the white spots but she's still behaving similarly as before. Hopefully she'll recover...

raymond82

I just found the female dead, unfortunately. Now I'm left with two males, three of the females I had died. The one that died today I think had either Velvet or Ich, which I didn't notice until it was too late. Could the rapid breathing indicate that the gills were affected? It is strange though, since it started a couple of days before I saw any white spots on the body.

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes, ich and velvet can cause significant gill damage several days before spots on the body and fins are visible. Ich spots are larger and white - usually easy to see. Velvet spots are much smaller, yellow to pale brown, more densely crowded, and hard to see. Look at pics of theses diseases in books or online so you can learn to distinguish them. They are two of the easiest diseases to identify visually. Ich is easier to treat, but also kills fish quicker. Velvet is hard to get rid of, and fish can be infected a long time before it kills them.

raymond82

Thanks for the info Gerald, I'll do some studying into the difference between the two. Based on your description I think it was velvet, the dots were really small which is also why I took a while in seeing them.

Looking back the stress of transort (for the first female) and bullying by the males (the last female) cause the fish some stress, which then made them more vulnerable to disease. In addition, some of the fish in the store already didn't look that great and although I bought the healthiest looking ones they might have already been infected.

I'm slowly growing up in the fish keeping hobby...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….