• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Range of difficulty with taeniatus locality types

killiguy

Ive been concidering breeding some taeniatus variants and wonder which ones are tough and best avoided.Ive spawned keinke which was no great challenge.Moliwe is one that I may have access to.
Are taeniatus fry best left with the parents like Apistos to react to maternal signalling??

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
IME... Moliwe is the easiest, especially over multiple generations. Just behind them are the spotted southern Cameroon varieties (Kienke, Dehane, etc...). The southern Cameroon varieties without spots (Lobe, Nyete, etc...) have smaller spawns more infrequently than the spotted forms. The Nigerian forms are either very inbred and have associated problems, and wild fish are infrequent breeders, but the number of fry is usually 25+. The hardest for me has always been Wouri. Small, infrequent spawns from parents that are aggressive to each other and prone to infection and problems associated with poor water quality.

I like to leave fry with parents at least a week, then I pull about a dozen or so to raise out. If I have plenty of fry or juveniles from other spawns I do not remove the fry.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I have to agree with Ted on the Wouri. I have difficulty keeping them pass a couple of generations. Removing the fry was also problematic for me, as the parents would turn aggressive to each other in their absence.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Nigerian red is a tank strain from Europe. From what I have seen, it is a fairly productive strain with spawn size up to 100+.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….