• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rams spawned - When does Mom get removed?

mak

5 Year Member
The pair of rams I removed from my 55 g community tank & put in their own 20 g tank w/potted plants & oak leaves (& lots of nice green algae!) have finally got a free-swimming brood! They'd been spawing in my 55g, but couldn't stand up to my aggies. I've only raised the young in the absence of parents (w/o too much success) in the past; it's fun to see Mom herding her charges around. The fry been free-swimming for a week, taking BBS and grazing in the algae (esp. the sponge filter).

So, how long does/can Mom stay in the tank? I had to remove Dad about 4 days ago 'cuz Mom was really wailing on him (after he did all the work guarding the eggs & wrigglers...).

mak

Randall

5 Year Member
Ram Brood Care

Dear Mak,

You should be able to keep Mom in with her fry up to a good four weeks or so, from the time they were free swimming.

Good job!

Randall Kohn

Neil

mak,

So, how long does/can Mom stay in the tank? I had to remove Dad about 4 days ago 'cuz Mom was really wailing on him (after he did all the work guarding the eggs & wrigglers...).

I think that you could have easily removed the female, considering she was at the root of the parental aggression. I am not sure why so many Dwarf Cichlid breeders can't get around the assumption that the female is the only partner that can effectively deal with parenting. I have used the male for continued parenting, at least, as many times as the female. Currently, I have 1 month old (or more) diplotaenia and N. dimidiatus fry in with father only. I have several others, but those 2 are very valuable fish to me and I would do it if it was careless.
Both parents are ideal, but if parental aggression issues jepordize the fry, remove the trouble-maker, not the hard worker. Males often have a more significant stake in the survival of their offspring. Females more often eat the eggs or fry to utilize that resourse for future productivity, when things aren't perfect.
Neil

mak

5 Year Member
Removing parents

I just pulled mom out, too - the fry are growing great (about 8 mm now)but developed a bad habit of going after mom's frozen adult brine... After I saw mom gulp three "moving" brine shrimp (babies attached!) I figured it's time to go. Other than that, she was doing a great job of caring for the young.

Thanks for the input. I might have an opportunity to use it soon. Mom's plump & looking ready to go, and you should have seen the display Dad gave when I put them back together in the same tank!

mak

mak

5 Year Member
Ram fry!

Instead of setting up my rams in a 20g, I've set up a 55 g tank with just 2 pair of rams and some ottos.

And look what I've got! :D

rams_w_fry.jpg"

They're being great parents, herding the fry around & working together.

The other pair of rams make for great dither (they're hiding in the left 1/5 of the tank).

Thanks to everyone for help.

mak

Neil

Congratulations mak! Nice little new family you have there. I have also found G. rams to be very good parent, unlike their relatives.
Please read this post from Gary, the site administrator.
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=767
I have been seeing a number of unlinked pics lately. Normally I don't mind and like the pics. But they do slow things down for those who are using dial-up connections. If possible, please use a link to the picture in the future.
Thanks much,
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….