• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram not eating and is breathing heavily

Leipo

5 Year Member
My male Ram hasn't eaten since last monday, so that's almost a week now :(
He is breathing heavily and moves slow, sometimes he hangs at the surface and other times he hangs on some leaves or the gravel.
He doesn't clamp any fins and he hasn't lost any color: from the outside he looks fine :?

what can this be? all the other fish (including my female Ram) seem to be a 100% OK and he is the only one breathing heavily.

Randall

5 Year Member
Sick Microgeophagus ramirezi

Dear Leipo,

From your description, it's difficult to know exactly what is going on with your Microgeophagus ramirezi, but it doesn't sound good.

If he hasn't eaten for nearly a week now, there may not be much you can do. My concern is some intestinal protazoa, but this is merely a guess. It might be a good idea to watch the other fish in the tank very closely.

Sorry, I can't be of more help.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
RIP

Dear Leipo,

So sorry to read about your fish. Perhaps the following will prove helpful.

Please watch your other cichlids for abdominal bloat, poor coloration, lack of appetite and long, white stringy feces. These symptoms are consistant with intestinal protazoa. The recommended treatment is Metronidazol.

Good luck!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….