• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Bitaeniata "yellow"

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I've seen different of Bitaeniata on the fish market but the most interesting variety for me are those Bitaeniata with red/yellow color.
From what I searched on website there are many place where yellow Bitaeniata were caught.
How do i identify what yellow Bitaeniata come from Brazil or peru?
In the case of Blue Bitaeniata such as Bitaeniata peru and Bitaeniata tefe, I can distinguish them because dot color pattern are very different but for Yellow bitaeniata I cannot know where it come from.

This one is my young
Picture 143 (Medium).jpg
Picture 905 (Medium).jpg
Picture 906 (Medium).jpg
Picture 907 (Medium).jpg
Bitaeniata which sold as Bitaeniata Shishita/Kleei .
Picture 143 (Medium).jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Populations of A. bitaeniata have been collected from the Río Marañon (Peru) to the Rio Tapajós (Brazil). Many populations show very little difference other than color and caudal fin pattern. I can recognize some consistent differences in populations from Peru & Colombia from those in Brazil. The Brazilian populations tend to have a more slender/elongate body, a more straight, broad and more strongly pigmented abdominal stripe below the lateral band, and fewer metallic blue spangles on the head (more yellow area) than the Peruvian populations. Specimens from many locations are virtually identical so you need to depend on the supplier to provide a collecting locality. For many commercially sold fish these locations are not always dependable.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Location info, if given, isn't always right like Mike said. But even more so it just isn't given. I order most Apistos, especially from Peru, with no locational info given. One Brazil supplier I use just lists Apistogramma agassizii and you don't know what you will get! I've yet to get the same fish twice when ordering under that name! It's part of the fun though as some really cool fish show up once and a while. It's like Christmas when I open the boxes!!!

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Populations of A. bitaeniata have been collected from the Río Marañon (Peru) to the Rio Tapajós (Brazil). Many populations show very little difference other than color and caudal fin pattern. I can recognize some consistent differences in populations from Peru & Colombia from those in Brazil. The Brazilian populations tend to have a more slender/elongate body, a more straight, broad and more strongly pigmented abdominal stripe below the lateral band, and fewer metallic blue spangles on the head (more yellow area) than the Peruvian populations. Specimens from many locations are virtually identical so you need to depend on the supplier to provide a collecting locality. For many commercially sold fish these locations are not always dependable.
Thank you for replying me. Actually I like the shape of Bitaeniata from Brazil which slender than Peru but The Bitaeniata from Peru are very interesting due to many color variety (Blue,Yellow and orange).

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Location info, if given, isn't always right like Mike said. But even more so it just isn't given. I order most Apistos, especially from Peru, with no locational info given. One Brazil supplier I use just lists Apistogramma agassizii and you don't know what you will get! I've yet to get the same fish twice when ordering under that name! It's part of the fun though as some really cool fish show up once and a while. It's like Christmas when I open the boxes!!!

I like to ordering wild Apisto because some time i can get some rare apisto too. : )

Tom C

5 Year Member
As Mike W says: it's almost impossible to distinguish most of the Peruvian forms/locations of Apistogramma bitaeniata from each other just based on a few photos.
Unless you know the location for sure, it wouldn't be reliable to put a location to the fish...
An example: I've collected Apistogramma bitaeniata in the Rio Ampiyacu drainage which looked almost similar to those I collected in Rio Shishita.....

I collected this Rio Shishita form in Rio Shishita in 2008, it seems quite similar to your fish?

resizeimage.aspx

Champ_17

5 Year Member
As Mike W says: it's almost impossible to distinguish most of the Peruvian forms/locations of Apistogramma bitaeniata from each other just based on a few photos.
Unless you know the location for sure, it wouldn't be reliable to put a location to the fish...
An example: I've collected Apistogramma bitaeniata in the Rio Ampiyacu drainage which looked almost similar to those I collected in Rio Shishita.....

I collected this Rio Shishita form in Rio Shishita in 2008, it seems quite similar to your fish?

resizeimage.aspx
[/quot

e]
Thank you very much to replying and post the beautiful WC Bitaeniata.
I came back to the shop and found that there are 3 different location Shishita,Victoria and kleei.
All of them are put together in the same tank and the owner cannot identify them himself.
From you picture my fish should be Shishita

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….