• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Problems w/Ap Baenschi

georgedv

5 Year Member
I am now with two males and one female Ap baenschi. The females exterminated the first male. She behaved like she was ready to mate but he ignored her. He payed the price.

Now I have the female in the 29gal with two males, about two weeks now. I have a basic color water test kit and the readings I have are pH 6.6 and general hardness of 1 or 2.
Tank is heavily planted with CO2. I test water parameters daily. Even a kit like mine should detect any major changes.

The female is nice and chubby, showing her colors off and flirts with both males. She eats and chases the platies all day.

The males, are not pale, but they are not their usual colors either. They have lost weight and the last four days I do not see them eat as before. They behave sluggish, swimming at all levels of tank, but mostly just slow. I noticed one rub himself against a rock....but I did not see this repeated,,,and I watched for about 30 minutes. rarely they will sift through the substrate as if looking for food, but when I drop food in front of them they ignore it or follow it without tasting eat.

I feed, Tetra flakes, crushed Walleys brine shrimp pellets(not too crushed so that they sink) and baby brine shrimp daily....lots of bbs for them. Twice a week they get frozen mysis.

I have not added fish or plants or changed/added anything in tank. Weekly water changes of 40%.

Are these symptoms of doom, or could it be something else? I read somewhere these fish do well in larger groups or should I just keep a pair together?

These I got in may and was hoping it would be one of the Apistos I would keep busy this summer.
Any help or suggestions are welcome.

geoege

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….