• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pre-courtship behavior?

Woodsy

5 Year Member
I have a trio of Agasizzi's and have just noticed that one of the females has become quite territorial to everyone except the male. She is defending a small indentation in a piece of bogwood, while the male roams around pecking at everyone but her. When they come up to eachother they pause for about 5 secs, the female moves closer to the male, and they go their separate ways only to meet up again a minute later. She has turned a brilliant gold with lots of green pigmentation on her face, while the other has almost turned black. Could this be love?

Woodsy

5 Year Member
Hey Farm. I've got cacatuoides and rams (Gold and Blue German), viejitas and boreliis. Also, I have a few Ornatus and some transcriptus- but whether you consider those as dwarves or not is another matter. The thing is, I've never really taken breeding them very seriously, so i suppose that makes be a beginner in that regard. Lately I've been concentrating on trying to breed my Butterflyfish, mostly because everyone keeps telling me that I won't be able to do it.
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of those Trifasciatas or the white cacatuoides, is this an American site?

Neil

Woodsy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I'ld say that you are expecting (Well maybe your fish are expecting). They will be laying eggs soon, if they haven't already! If your water is right and everything else works out OK then you will be the proud parent (Well maybe your pair will be the proud parents) of baby agassizii within the next week or 2. Take note of the fact that their tankmates, although helping promote the parental behavior in your agassizii pair, may pose a problem with you (Well your fish) having a successful brood! :D 8O :D
Good luck and keep us informed!
Neil

Woodsy

5 Year Member
Parental behavior. If you mean the male attacking anything that moves, then you'd be right. He is starting to get REALLY nasty. I thought apistos (apart from Tucurui's) were supposed to be realtively tollerant- even when breeding. It's starting to become a problem, because thery are even attacking my discus pair which are, by nature, a pair of wimps. Funny, because they are about 7 times the size of the aggasizzi's. I really don't want to move either of them though. Do you think that taking the cacatuoides and some of the other tankmates out would help? Or would it mean that the discus will just become the prime targets?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….