• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help me with my loss

K

ksboy27

I purchased a pair of A. Macmasteri a couple of months ago and they immediately became my favorite pair of Apistos. Through a tank relo and a husbandry accident I have lost both of them. Does anyone have or know a good source where I could pick up some? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not done beating myself up over the loss.

Thanks,

Tony

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Tony,

ApistoDave is selling macmasteri on AquaBid. They are small, but sexable adults. Dave lives in Oregon. Last year he shipped quite a few to me all the way cross country to Vermont. The fish were in excellent shape and quickly settled into my tanks I had ready. I got a total of something like 34 apistos from him and only 1 died (a trifascatia) which was promptly replaced (replacement fish were part of the 34 count).

I was more than happy with the condition in which they arrived. In the near future, I plan to get some macmasteri and steindachneri from him myself.

Here is a link to the South American Cichlid auction where Daves fish are listed:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlids

Michael

K

ksboy27

I've bought numerous fish from him in the past and emailed today to see if he raised them. The only reason I was seeking out the community at large before Dave is that I heard his stock is harder to breed for some reason. Granted, this is just rumour, but I've heard it more than once.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Tony,

I hadn't heard that before. Last August I bought viejita, borellii, trifasciata, OF cacs, TR cacs from Dave. Except for the trifasciata, they've all raised at least 2 families. The borellii seem like they can't be stopped. The trifasciata just recently spawned, but according to Romers atlas they are slow to mature anyhow.

It only took about 1 week for my borellii to spawn. The cacs spawned after about 3 or 4 weeks. The viejita spawned in about 8 or 9 weeks.

I'm sure they would have spawned more often, but I like to leave the young with the parents until they are mature. The borellii wouldn't wait though. They started another batch before the first batch were even juvies.

Michael

K

ksboy27

Thanks for the positive response! I'll keep him in mind for sure after I relocate a 115 reef to my house this weekend and begin to focus on the planted tank again.

T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….