• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pelvicachromis problem

rama

5 Year Member
Hello!

i am a new member of this forum, i hope that you could help me.
My pelvicachromis is sick, i don't know actually what is the patology. I have already post in a italian forum, but noone answare to me, so i try here. I will add 2 image, that i have already post in the other forum.
The fish is quite happy, he swim and eat regulary.

tell me if some other info are required.
I use dupla food (M something, i will check if is important) and i add frost food 2 time x week (artemia 1 time a week and small little red worm (chironomus?) 1 time x week)

sorry for my terrible english, and also for the lack of information, i am really new to acquarium world

3295_20658_174891_449088.jpg

3295_20658_174892_449088.jpg

Randall

5 Year Member
Sick Pelvicachromis pulcher

Hello Rama,

I hope we can help you.

Some questions for you, please. Is the pink mark on your fish's head an ulcer (sore) or a lump (growth), and does it go in or out? Also, how long has the tank been set up, and how often do you perform water changes? Is only the one fish effected, or are there others?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

rama

5 Year Member
i hope that i understand well...
is a sort of lump pink, in the centre is lower than how it start, a sort of crater...but not a hole, it start to riase then it do down...i will make a little scheme

# #....-> white part
# hole(pink) #... --> white
# #

right now there is another of this, but very small, that is not "growth" is a little point pink about in the middle of the fish :cry:

is the only fish affected by this patology (all the other seem to be fine)
this is the tank setup
200L
ph = 6.6
no2 = 0
no3 << 25mg/l (i haven't a good test for no3, the scale is not nice, it go from 10 to 25, and i am not in 25, if is important i will buy a better test)
the fish in the tank are
2 corydoras
2 Ancistrus
2 very small ramirezi
2 scalari?? (angel fish?..the most common fish, triangular?)
2 atya gabonensis
3 caridina
some neon (< 10)
2 Aplochelius lineatus (that have to go in another tank in 2 days)
1 little worm-fish Occhio spinoso (maybe ACANTHOPHTHALMUS KUHLII)
actually the worm-fish live in the filter, only go out on night

the tank was made 4 month ago. i perform water change 1x month of 15% of the volume with normal water+biocontidioning.

thnx for helping! really!

fishgeek

do pelvichromis like soft water?

didn't ted ? answer something like this recently as being pretty normal?

when you say the fish is sick , you just mean he has this lesion/abnormal area on him that is worrying you?
other than his change in appearance you would say the sidh is acting normally?

external skin disease can be for many reasons, larger nodules(the pic's are a bit blurry) maybe due to mycobacteria , myxoan parasites though usually mor cystic looking ichthyophonus though usually darker granuloma's

then fish do also get tumours and pappilomas will lokk quite granulomatous

andrew
is it possible to get a better photo?

rama

5 Year Member
sorry for my terrible english i try to answare as i can, unfortunatly i haven't understand all :(

when you say the fish is sick , you just mean he has this lesion/abnormal area on him that is worrying you?
other than his change in appearance you would say the sidh is acting normally?

yes, the lesion/abonrmal area worrying me, other than this strange things the fish is acting normally, eat, swim...two days ago the female make eggs (and this ba***rd eat all them hehehe)...but i like he anyway :D

for soft water, i don't know..but where i buy it they say that with our water this will be ok, they are born in captivity in tank with soft water (so maybe are a sort of adapted?? don't know)

didn't ted ? answer something like this recently as being pretty normal?

sorry, i don't understand this :( ted ...very sorry :(

unfortunatly this is the only photo that i can do, my digital camera is very old :( so all the photo will be blurred, the definition isn't good...

i have buy this fish (with female) about 1 month ago, as i said, they are going "normally" swim, eat, sometimes hunt for intrusion near they tank corner...

if you need other info i can try to provide it.
i suppose that there isn't a "miracle" rimedium that i put a compress in my tank and the fish heal, isn't it :cry:

Tnx for helping!

fishgeek

rama i would be inclined to try with just treatment of the affected area

if you can net the fish and swab antibacterial remedy directly onto the area

what medications do you have available to you

i apologies for my poor spelling in the previous post

andrew

rama

5 Year Member
ok area medication will be fine.
I don't have any medicinal right now, just some "blu di metilene" that will be translated in something like "methylene blue" but i don't know if it's fine for the metication.

anyway, just tell me or the active principium or the name of the medicinal, and i will buy it (if is aviable maybe give to me more than one chooice).

Also, tell me how i must proceed. If i have understand well i have to catch the fish then take it out of water, and use medication on the area right?

just suggest the medication and i will do it as quick as i can.

O Forgot to say, i also have a compress called furanol that have as active principium nifurpirinol, but is difficult to use in the area..i can try to make a solution with 1 compress in water? but i think that is a better option to buy some liquid meticamentum like sera bactosomething right?

best regards

fishgeek

meth blue is for fungal and protozoal type probs

the second medication you have would be ideal if you could apply
sera make baktopur for external bacterial infections

basically any antibacterial preparation you can apply with a cotton swab

rama

5 Year Member
ok i will buy sera tomorrow morning, because is liquid, this one is in compress and i have trouble to make a solution.

The situation today isn't so nice :S there is a new hole near the "pinna" (fin? used by fish to swim)

i will keep you informed in a couple of day to see there is some change

rama

5 Year Member
bad news :cry:

the fish haven't see any change, i net it and use baktopur, but in 2 days, there are no change. Tomorrow i will swap into a tank that i hava take from a friend, then apply furaonl of jbl in compress.

Hope that this help :(

end of night report :)

bye

rama

5 Year Member
today the fish is died :(
i am very sad, unfortunatly nothing have helped, never move it to another tank.
:cry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….