• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peat Moss Filtration...

Apistoman

Hi all,

Im just about to start peat moss filtration (never attempted before). Which is the best way to to it? Is it to put it into the sponge filter like carbon or is it to just let it lie on the substrate?
Also, when you use it how often does it need changing? Does it lose its ever lose its pH lowering properties? And finally, how much do you add?
Sorry for all the questions haha but i want to get it right first time!

Cheers

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, I hope you are using something like sphagnum peat, not peat moss. Peat moss is a nice flower, but I don't think it will do much for your tank.;)

There are many ways to use peat. I personally don't put it in my tanks. Instead, I use a separate container, put it in a bag and allow water to cycle through it. I then use the peat-treated water in water changes. Others put peat in their power box/canister filters. I don't care for this method because water values are harder to control. Yes, peat will lose its pH/KH lowering ability. It really depends on the values of the water with which you start and how soft/acid you want the water to be. Again, how much you use depends on the pH/hardness of the original water and what values you want the water to finally be.

Apistoman

Okay thanks for the info guys!

How much would you put in the tights for a 60L tank and how long would that last for?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is this a 60L tank with fish or a 60L tank used solely for making blackwater? And how hard is your water right now (dGH/dKH)? And what values do you want for your aquarium water?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Everyone has a different system. I don't add peat to my aquariums. I just add peat-treated water from a holding tank to my fish tanks as water changes.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Everyone has a different system. I don't add peat to my aquariums. I just add peat-treated water from a holding tank to my fish tanks as water changes.

Yes, I know you do, but do you pour it straight from the holding tank? No filtration in this phase?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Define 'holding tank'? If you mean the processing tank, I circulate R/O water through the peat until I need it. If you mean the fish tank, I add it to the tank like I would any other water I would use for water changes.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Allrighty, that clears things up. I just wanted to know how pros do it. I´ll try your way in next water change

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bward

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(