• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peacock gudon breeding question

my peacock guduon pair spawned for the first time yesterday. i have removed them (male and eggs) from the breeding tank ( actually the main tank(i have done 3 water changes a day to try and heal my male cacatuoides, he died anyway :frown: but the guduons spawned:biggrin:(win-loses))). my question is, should or can i leave the female with the male and eggs or should i leave her in the breeding/main tank?

thanks

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I like to artificially incubate gudgeon eggs. As soon as they hatch they are seen as food by their parents. If they bred in a piece of pvc, attach and elbow and 3" piece of pvc to the other end of the elbow, so now you have an L with the eggs in one arm. Stand the L in a corner so the eggs are in the horizontal leg on the bottom, and put and airline perculating air at a rate of about one bubble per second in the vertical leg. This will keep water flowing over the eggs. The fry are free-swimming as soon as they hatch and are ready to eat. THey need small food. I suggest paramecium for two weeks, then microworms and bbs.

Thanks. That is a great idea. I have some more 3 inch pvc of.the same diamiterI will go get elbows. When will they spawn again.? I don'have ankles aquariums available right now, is it ok to try and breed them in the main tank or should I buy another. Tank.

Thanks

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
They will spawn regularly, so if you miss this one you will get another chance. You can probably incubate and hatch the eggs in a small plastic bucket. I use a 2.5 gallon tank. You will eventually need a place to raise the fry.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Just a note, I've found vinegar eels/worms to be an adequate first food for Peacock Gudgeon fry, they are smaller than microworms, and easy to culture. The Gudgeon eggs take a very long time to hatch, but as Ted noted, the fry are ready to be fed the instant they come out. To slow down breeding, I usually leave the eggs with the male for a week or so before pulling them.

They all fungesd. Got some methane blue. I have the pair in their own tank. Expecting some eggs next we'll. Do you know where I can get a starter culture? Also, do I need to mimic rain every week or will they spawn anyway.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have never found it necessary to trigger spawns. Once they get going they do not stop unless the wear out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….