• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasites or water quality problems.

mordor

5 Year Member
The only symptoms I can observe are folded fins and scratching. Ocassionally fish is shaking like it wanted to shake something off. Fish do not loose colors and eat normally but gradually start staying apart form others. It attacks only Macmasteri and related apsitos so far. Other fish including different species of apsistos are fine. When I first noticed this I did 80% water change and 50% next day. It did not help and I lost big Macmasteri male in 3-4 days from first symptoms observed. Two weeks after it died I start observing that slowly Viejitas got similar problems. Is it some sort of poisoning or parasite infection. I just increased temperature and put rest of Copper safe I got into this tank. I need to buy more medications. What would you recommend. I think I have to treat this entire tank.

Randall

5 Year Member
mordor said:
The only symptoms I can observe are folded fins and scratching. Ocassionally fish is shaking like it wanted to shake something off

Dear Mordor,

The above sounds like an external parasite infection. I'd treat the tank with Formalin (formaldahyde) daily until a cure is effected.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

mordor

5 Year Member
Formalin seems a little bit radical to me. I did 70% water change and added new dose of CopperSafe. Viejitas seem to respond well to this. I haven't seen them scratching today and male is stretching his fins. Mardel recommends using this medication for 1 months so I guess it's not very strong. I guess plants and snail would suffer from copper but I hope parasites too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….