• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro or nijsseni?

A

Avalanche

Hi!
Cold help me identify the species os this fish? Is it panduro or Nijsseni?

Nij%20_or_pan.JPG

another photo
Nij%20_or_pan2.JPG

thanks!
JB

chapman76

5 Year Member
To me this looks like a panduro. Of course this is coming from someone with only 4 f0 nijsseni, so I'm fairly new to this. It is beautiful though.

Apistt_ed

In Uwe Romer's Cichlid Atlas (aka Apisto Bible), the differences between A. panduro and A. Nijsenni are stated as:

Since A. panduro has enlarged membranes on the anterior half of the dorsal fin and A. Nijsenni does not, the two speces can readily be distinguished.
since it can't be seen in your picture and Panduro can also be distinguished by a large dark spot before the base of it's tail and the spot goes well into the caudal fin, which is also not visible in your picture, it's tricky to say positively.. but I would have to say that it probably is A. panduro from the overall shape and color of the dorsal fin along with the caudal. Either way, it's a great looking fish you got there!

A

Avalanche

The story goes like this...

Initially i had this fish with a female panduro ( 100%sure). They spawn ocassionaly once evry two weeks.
But after a day or two the redish eggs start to desapear, and i could not see any larvae. Since I know that the sometimes different species of fish make some odd pairs, i though, " Damn!! im have a male Nijsseni and a female panduro! and the eggs are infertile..."

So i bought a female Nijsseni. But in fact this female is always hiding... so in think that this male fish is a panduro, only by that kind of behaviour...

The water has 50 microsiemens and Ph 6.0.

Neil

Avalanche,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Yes, it is a little tough to say, but I would guess that your pics are of panduro.

Your water parms are great, so I would worry if the first few spawns are unsuccessful. That happens often.

Good luck,

Neil

ps, I am moving this thread to the Gallery, for 2 reasons. 1. The pictures are of a size that is appropriate for that forum and 2. Because this is actually an Apistogramma thread, but will be better in the Gallery, than the SA forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….