• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Orange Flash wigglers help.

FishKeeper510

( My wigglers are on day 4 today) last night I counted at least 20 that had developed eyes. When I woke up today I noticed that some had to be missing (around 10) and thought maybe my female has eaten some of the wigglers. I acted quickly setup my breeder box and used a baster to suck around 10-15 wigglers and relocated to breeder box. The female still has around 15-20 wigglers in the cave but I’m not sure if I made the right decision just looking for some guidance on how I should take care of these wigglers until they develop into fry. Temp is 78°F and PH is 6.5 any tips and information is helpful (ps first post on forum)

4F54531C-9D24-481F-B798-D62E9FE71DEC.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've never been successful raising apisto wiggler without their mother's help and definitely not in a breeder box. If it were me, I'd let the female do the work and let nature take its course.

FishKeeper510

I've never been successful raising apisto wiggler without their mother's help and definitely not in a breeder box. If it were me, I'd let the female do the work and let nature take its course.
Yeah I definitely should have they didn’t make it thorough the night I hope they spawn again. She still has some wigglers just not much I think she has been eating most. But it’s my pairs first spawn and it seems promising they will spawn again. They didn’t eat any eggs and she didn’t start eating her young until day 7 so hopefully they have learned enough to finish the process and I too

FishKeeper510

Found out my female was just Moving her young to a different cave and the ones I was “saving” just died for no reason which is upsetting it’s good that it was only 10 or so but I still feel bad about it. I can count a good 20-25 fry in the cave I’m so excited now

yukondog

5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about it too much, once they have fry and if there the only pair in my case they will breed about every four weeks if no fry are present. She may move them again, I have had them move the wigglers and sometimes not, once free swimming she will take them around the tank looking for food.
What size tank is it?

FishKeeper510

It’s a 10 gallon. Temp is 78°f PH is 6.5 I have catappa leaf litter and multiple terra-cotta caves and hides. She moved about 20-25 fry to a different cave they look good and healthy another 3 or 4 days they should be free swimming. I’m glad i found out I thought that she has eaten them all since it’s my pairs first spawn and they are fairly young

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….