• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

only one fry

gigafish

5 Year Member
This has nothing to do with dwarf species, but with south american fish though. I have manage to hatch out only one uaru fry. I know it's pathetic, but it is my first success nontheless. So what do I do with only one fry???? how should I go about and take care of it??? please help with this one!!!

Randall

5 Year Member
Lonely Fry

Dear Gigafish,

Well, for the time being, let the parents take care of the only fry. Just make sure he or she is well fed and Mom and Dad will do the rest. After the parental care stage has passed, you'll need to remove the little guy to separate quarters and allow the parents to spawn again.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

gigafish

5 Year Member
thanks randall, but I separated the eggs from the parents and hatch the fry in a bucket. I think the parents will eat it now. I got the little guy in a plastic drinking cup floating in the parents tank and i change the water with the parents tank water. what else can i do?

Neil

I would put the one fry back in with the parents. You never know what the outcome will be. If they accept the fry, it might go a long way to instilling parental care responsibilities for the next, bigger, spawn. If not, you are out a single baby, but sometimes it is more work and space than it is worth. I have had this happen a bunch of times and it is always a pain.
Neil

gigafish

5 Year Member
must say, can't argue with two experts. yes it has become somewhat of a pain already. the fry is always catching these tiny lints floating in the cup. despite all the water changes, there is always something inthere the fry gets caught on. i've been removing it everytime i catch it, with a tooth pick. one time i though i choke the little fry. it was very difficult and time consuming. i think i will leave it alone now and put it in the parents tank. i must say it is very hard for me to do.

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear Gigafish,

Next time, why don't you let the parents tend the clutch of eggs and fry? I've found that they do it much better than I ever could.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

gigafish

5 Year Member
I did that from the 1st time they spawned. the eggs were uasally gone a day or two later. But now I'll leave be until they get it right, because I can't do any better anyway. :oops: :oops: :oops: Thanks again Randall

Randall

5 Year Member
Breeding Cichlids

Dear Gigafish,

Sometimes cichlids, especially young ones, need to spawn a few times before they get it right. I call it the "new parent syndrome." Providing that the conditions are right and the water is kept clean, your Uarus will figure it out.

Keep the faith!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….