• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oily water??!!!

apistopete

5 Year Member
Hi Folks,

Looking for a little advice if possible as I am fairly new to this :)

This evening looking in my tank I had noticed an oily looking film on the surface of the water.

The tank is well planted and recently did 10% water change on Sunday. The only additives I use is a capful of "flourish" to help with my live plants. All fish seem to be happy and healthy.

Can anyone help diagnose the myth of the oily looking water and how to prevent it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

danbb

This film comes from an excess of proteins. Try to have some water movement at the surface or use a surface skimmer. First I will reduce the food and see what happens. If you have more than just "few" fish, the 10% is low.

gerald

5 Year Member
Yup, proteins and oils from fish food, most likely. Lay a paper towel on the water surface and drag it across to remove the film if it bothers you (and have a bucket ready beside the tank to drop it in). I'm guessing you're using a canister filter or similar device that doesn't stir up the water surface much. With spill-over or air-powered filters you rarely see this film, unless feeding very oily foods. There are also certain algae and bacteria than can form an oil-like surface film.

apistopete

5 Year Member
Thanks guys,

Will try the paper towel trick :)

I have an eheim internal filter which cycles at double the volume of my aquarium. Would it be worth while adding the attachment which blows the air bubbles into the tank?

I have 12 various tetras in my tank at present to help cycle the tank and build up the "good bacterias" before adding my chosen Apisto's.

I have been feeding them small amounts of flake food but will reduce the quantity and increase the water change amount and see if that helps.

Cheers

JG

5 Year Member
What @gerald said stands true. Have filtration that breaks the water surface regardless if it's sponge air driven filtration, power filters or canisters. Also watch the feeding.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Would it be worth while adding the attachment which blows the air bubbles into the tank?
I like a venturi device, and it will also help with surface film.

cheers Darrel

DanielG

What about in a planted tank with pressurized CO2?

I've got the same situation going on in my 20gal high, but I'm fairly certain I have a green water outbreak going on...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"What about in a planted tank with pressurized CO2?" It will get rid of the film, but you'll get through your CO2 more quickly.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….