• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

oak leaves lowering ph

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
I have an r/o unit and I am using that water in my 125 gal apisto
tank. But I had some lace or bowl rock in my tank which raised my
ph to about 7.0-7.2. I realized that my panduro's only ever seem to be
in the mood to breed at 6.0. So I read that oak leaves lower ph,
my question is which oak tree. Will any oak tree leaves do,like black oak.
Thanks

farm41

5 Year Member
I don't know anything about 'black oak', but it would take a lot of leaves from any oak tree to make a difference in a 125g tank.

How much RO are you using in the 125g? peat or chems may be easier than the leaves.

I use the oak leaves for habitat, primarily, and acidification secondarily.

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
I use about 90% R/O water. The water out of my tap is like 8.6 ph.
I don't really want to use chem becuase they don't last very long. I was
using seachem's pink stuff to lower my ph but that only lasts for a few
days then my ph is back up again. I would rather use a natural means
anyway.

farm41

5 Year Member
Got to use more RO then, it's going to be hard to keep such a large tank in breeding parameters for the panduro's.

My local oaks are shedding leaves right now, harvest looks good for them, although I have bag left from 2 seasons ago.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi JazzyB,

Oak leaves lower the pH very little. As Farm41 says it's more for habitat for the apistos as they love to swim in and out of the leaves and hide amoung them when frightened. The leaves make them more comfortable knowing there is safe hiding places nearby if they are threatened.

I would imagine they would have more effect on helping to prevent the pH from rising, but that's just speculation. I'm sure they would have more effect on R/O water than on tap water.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….